ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Me, Wife (Spouse Visa) and Child. Europe Camping Trip

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

James1859

Me, Wife (Spouse Visa) and Child. Europe Camping Trip

Post by James1859 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:25 pm

Hello Everyone

My wife and I are planning a camping trip around Europe (France, Spain, Germany and Italy) with our little toddler daughter.

My wife is here in the UK on a Spouse Visa. We plan on driving across the channel (ferry). Would she require a Visa for this trip?

I looked on here and it seems like she does, but I'm confused by the documents they are asking for!
Proof of dependence (if applicable) - a retired applicant is depending on their adult child, or a student aged over 18 is depending on their spouse/parent(s):

proof of relation between the dependent and the person depending on is the relevant Marriage or Birth certificate

Proof they are not working i.e.

Student letter
Pension/benefits letter
Proof of address for applicant and proof of address for EU national

Each must show the same address, proving that applicant and EU national reside at the same address.
Recent bank statements or utility/council tax bills are acceptable proof of address.
Additional documents may be required in every case.
I am in full time employment and she is a full time Mum to our daughter. How is she supposed to prove she is dependent on me? :?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Casa

Re: Me, Wife (Spouse Visa) and Child. Europe Camping Trip

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Your wife will need a Schengen visa, generally one for your first EU state of entry.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

James1859

Post by James1859 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:53 pm

Thank you for the prompt reply Casa! Our first country to visit would be France. So I went to the website where I can make an appointment and I see this:

It says we must show evidence of hotel bookings!

We're going camping and won't be staying in hotels (too expensive). :? and I can't see anything about camping on there. What can we do? Thanks

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:00 pm

I'm unsure whether you're querying the passages in bold? Do you an ancestor or a child of a French parent, or parent of an underage French child? :?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

James1859

Post by James1859 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:18 pm

Sorry the image got a bit cut off for some reason.

I am querying the bit about having to provide hotel bookings! We won't be staying in Hotels.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Have you noted the guidance on the French Embassy website?

When staying at holiday campsites you MUST obtain proof of site rental from each campsite that you intend to stay at.

If you cannot account for where you are staying EVERY night of your time in the Schengen region, it is highly likely that your application will be rejected.
(Casa, not CR001)

James1859

Post by James1859 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:35 pm

Thanks very much Casa, not I hadn't.

I went cycling with a friend two years ago in France, and almost all the campsites had no website, never mind one advanced enough to take bookings online! :cry:

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:38 pm

One well known travel guide recommends booking a hotel and then cancelling the reservation after the visa is issued. After all, travel plans can change. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)

James1859

Post by James1859 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:55 pm

I thought we'd lose money this way? Are hotels happy to cancel without charging us? :o

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:03 pm

Many of the budget chains allow you to cancel without charge as long as this is within their cancellation period.
(Casa, not CR001)

James1859

Post by James1859 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:04 pm

Thanks Casa that is very useful to know! We'll try that.

Much appreicated :P

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:13 pm

You're welcome. I suggest to have a look online for budget hotels who allow a no-fee cancellation. You'll be expected to show in the Schengen application that you have the funds to cover the cost of accommodation during your stay, so I wouldn't recommend reserving a 5 star room :?
(Casa, not CR001)