ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

partner/wife status eea citizen

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

eveningprimrose
Newly Registered

partner/wife status eea citizen

Post by eveningprimrose » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:20 pm

Hello,
Hope someone will be able to clarify few issues for me.
My partner and I are both EEA citizens. We applied both for PR, which was granted only to my partner. My application was refused as not being married to my partner I only classify as an extended family member and I was issued a RC instead and advised that being his dependent I can apply for PR in 5 years time.
I cannot apply as qualified person myself as I do not have full 5 years of continuous work,and after having a child I studied part time at university and I didn't have a CSI.
The question is: would getting married and changing my status to close family member and reapplying for PR makes sense? Or my application is deemed to be refused again, as we will not be married for 5 years?
We are both 10+ years together (and in UK), have a child and a mortgage together.
As brexit looming we are thinking that my partner should apply for citizenship but as soon he will become British, he won't be able to support my PR rights.

eveningprimrose
Newly Registered

Re: partner/wife status eea citizen

Post by eveningprimrose » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:56 pm

Anything? Anyone? :(

secret.simon

Re: partner/wife status eea citizen

Post by secret.simon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:24 pm

Whether you are issued with a Residence Card or you get married, your status as the family member of an EEA citizen is only prospective, not retrospective.

If your own PR clock stopped and started because of studies, you will only be able to acquire PR in five years. And that is assuming that your partner does not acquire British citizenship.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.