ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA EFM unsure of EEA status

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cityofedinburgh
Newly Registered

EEA EFM unmarried partner need help

Post by cityofedinburgh » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi everyone,
I am a Malaysian national on a Tier 4 student visa expiring on 30/09. My EEA national partner (also a student) and I have been in a relationship since November 2013, cohabiting since May 2015. I've been reading all I can but I still feel a bit lost (and can't afford a lawyer...) so I need some help.

1. Should we both leave the UK and I apply for EEA FP? Then we fly back into the UK and I apply for EEA EFM? As an unmarried partner I will have no right to work in the 5-6 months wait for the RC, so is having the FP for 6 months to cover that seem like a good idea?

As a Malaysian, I am aware that I don't need a visa to enter the UK anyways (for 6 months) but in that time I will have no right to work/study/NHS, which I am worried about.

2. Should I just apply for EEA EFM straight away in May 2017? As my Tier 4 visa expires in 30/09, I am worried I won't get the RC in time, I'll have to leave the UK/be an overstayer. Will the EEA EFM application extend my permission to stay in the UK?

3. Another thing that might be challenging is my partner and I are both university students (graduating May 2017). In May-June 2015 and May-June 2016, we were living together in my partner's parents' house. So we don't have any tenancy agreements/utility bills etc. We have flight tickets, photos and a letter from his parents that state that we lived with them. Is this sufficient?

secret.simon

Re: EEA EFM unmarried partner need help

Post by secret.simon » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:02 pm

How old is the EEA national? How is s/he exercising treaty rights? If a student, does s/he have CSI (private health insurance) or a non-UK EHIC card?

Also, typically a "durable partner" needs to prove two years of living together. That is not pure EU law, but the UK's implementation of EU law.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:09 pm

I suppose it all depends on what you define as law.

If it is the regulations as defined by the court s and tribunal , then you are wrong.

If it is UKVI policy which is not the law, then you are correct.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:29 pm

I did say it is the UK's implementation of EU law :)

At the end of the day, it is the UKV&I that the OP will submit the application to, the UKV&I that will issue the FP. So, it is worth being aware of the UKV&I's approach. Alternatively, the OP can at least start planning for a rejection and appeal.
Last edited by secret.simon on Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

cityofedinburgh
Newly Registered

Post by cityofedinburgh » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:30 pm

secret.simon wrote:How old is the EEA national? How is s/he exercising treaty rights? If a student, does s/he have CSI (private health insurance) or a non-UK EHIC card?

Also, typically a "durable partner" needs to prove two years of living together. That is not pure EU law, but the UK's implementation of EU law.
The EEA national is 23 years old. He is currently a student, graduating in May 2017 (same time as me), currently looking for graduate employment. He has an EHIC card.

If we apply in May 2017, that would be 2 years cohabitation (with 4 months apart as I was working in the UK and he was working in Europe in June-August 2015 and 2016). But May-June 2015 was spent in his family home... where we only have an affidavit to prove we lived together...
Last edited by cityofedinburgh on Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:32 pm

If s/he has not started working at the time of the application, I suggest that your EEA partner take out a private health insurance policy covering both of you before applying.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:32 am

cityofedinburgh wrote: 1. Should we both leave the UK and I apply for EEA FP?
If you both have a legal basis to be in the UK (i.e. you have a valid visa) you do not need to leave the country.
Then we fly back into the UK and I apply for EEA EFM? As an unmarried partner I will have no right to work in the 5-6 months wait for the RC, so is having the FP for 6 months to cover that seem like a good idea?
The above being said, there is an argument for you choosing to submit your application overseas, and a big one for that matter: Processing time. While you are under no obligation to leave the UK to do this, the fact that there are many more EEA EFP applications within the UK means you have to wait for 6 months to get your application processed if submitted here. If you go to your country of origin, you could "jump the queue" and wait much less time to get a family entry visa there, by virtue of fewer applications in your local processing office (this obviously depends what the processing times are in your country, do check if it is worth it). The downside is, this way you can only get a 6-month family entry permit, and then you need to apply for the real EEA EFM RC once you are in the UK (and wait the 6 months to get it -there is no escape). However, see argument below.
As a Malaysian, I am aware that I don't need a visa to enter the UK anyways (for 6 months) but in that time I will have no right to work/study/NHS, which I am worried about.
That is another potential argument for applying overseas.

Please do note that I use the word potential here, as this is a really grey area, and I am really not sure of all legal aspects of this, but as far as I could check when I was in a similar situation, the family member entry permit they give you if you apply in your country could give you the right to work straight away -this means that while you would have to make two applications, one for the entry permit in your country, one for the real Residence Card once within the UK- you would not need to wait for 6 months to be able to work. But again, I'm not sure. I could not find any confirmation of this anywhere, but I was also unable to find any official source positively saying the contrary. The official guidelines for employers on how to check valid documentation to prove right to work for potential employees includes the line:

A current passport endorsed to show that the holder is allowed to stay in the UK and is allowed to do the type of work in question.

Document here, page 39: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... checks.pdf

Now... I applied for the EEA family permit while in my country, and they gave me a visa/entry clearance that allowed me to come to the UK to join my EEA partner. Doesn't say anything else. It does not say work is permitted (as my previous student visa used to say), nor it says work is restricted (as my previous sponsored work visa used to say, as restricted to specific employer).

Hence why I say this is a grey area.

I used the family permit entry visa to come back to the UK (I had applied for my EEA EFM Residence Card 5 months before, within the UK, then stupidly scheduled holiday home before I received my RC and at the same time my previous sponsored work visa expired; after panicking, I made an EEA application in my country and got the EEA family entry permit in 3 days). I then came back to the UK and started my new job staright way, only a few days before receiving my RC, so can't tell you from experience if working on a family entry visa is a real issue or not, as I used it for only a week.

So, if you decide to interpret that the above means the entry permit does not give you the right to work, then your best bet is to apply within the UK.

If you decide to apply in your country, then again, please note there is no way to apply for the 5-year EEA EFM Residence Card outside of the UK, you would only get the 6-month entry permit this way.
2. Should I just apply for EEA EFM straight away in May 2017?
If by May 2017 you are eligible to apply, yes you can apply.
As my Tier 4 visa expires in 30/09, I am worried I won't get the RC in time, I'll have to leave the UK/be an overstayer. Will the EEA EFM application extend my permission to stay in the UK?
As long as you submit your application before your current visa expires, you will technically not be considered an overstayer as you will have a pending application. However, if your application is refused, you could then be an overstayer.
3. Another thing that might be challenging is my partner and I are both university students (graduating May 2017). In May-June 2015 and May-June 2016, we were living together in my partner's parents' house. So we don't have any tenancy agreements/utility bills etc. We have flight tickets, photos and a letter from his parents that state that we lived with them. Is this sufficient?
With these circumstances I would say better to wait to apply in July 2017, if you have proof of cohabitation for July 2015-May 2016 and July 2016-July 2017. Best to have to explain only one gap, not two.

If all other requirements are in order, and you have strong proof you are currently living together, and you follow the official guidelines and supplied the required documentation, then a one-month gap should not be an issue. Please note you do not need to supply bills or correspondence for every single month you lived together. Only 6 pieces of correspondence addressed to the both of you, from 3 different sources, with dates that spread evenly throughout the two-year period (but do check the official Home Office guidelines on what documents to send, they are there for a reason).

Last but not least, see my post on what makes a good unmarried application here, based on all my experience: http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... l#p1307574
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:58 am

kamoe wrote:As long as you submit your application before your current visa expires, you will technically not be considered an overstayer as you will have a pending application. However, if your application is refused, you could then be an overstayer.
That is not entirely correct. Section 3C leave, that covers you if you submit an application while you have existing leave, does not apply to EEA-route applications. So, pending EEA applications do not attract any protection against overstay.

If you are applying on the EFM route, your right to reside in the UK under the EEA Regulations starts from the date your Residence Card is issued by the Home Office

So, if there is any gap between the end of your Tier 4 leave to remain and the date your Residence Card is issued, you will be an overstayer for that period in time.

Were you to marry your EEA partner, your right to remain in the UK under the EEA Regulations stems from the marriage and not the Residence Card. Provided you married before the end of your Tier 4 leave, you would then not be an overstayer. If you were to go down this route, plan on giving a 70 day notice before marriage and plan accordingly.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:51 am

I am sure I saw a post regarding Section 3C leave that seems to have vanished. Below is a link with more detailed information.

Section 3C does not apply to EU law residence applications