ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EHIC sufficient for the first year?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tmonaghan
Mood:

EHIC sufficient for the first year?

Post by tmonaghan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:08 am

Hello,

I am a British Citizen who first moved from Portugal to the UK in January 2015 with my Portuguese partner. We spent the initial three months doing this and that until we found a flat on 12 February 2015 and I found a full-time job on 23 March 2015. The initial three months ended on the 16 April 2015; from which point my partner was technically self-sufficient through me but instead of having a Comprehensive Sickness Insurance he relied from his EHIC until the 01st October 2015 because he found work from that date even though the EHIC was valid until the 27 December 2015.

My question is as follows. Since we were not sure how thing would turn out for us when we first arrived in the UK; we thought that using temporarily the EHIC would be allowed even though it covered the period from the 01st January 2015 until the 01st October 2015; from which date he became a worker for a few months.

Am I right to think that my partner was within his rights to rely from his EHIC for a short period until we settled down? For the avoidance of a confusion my partner has got now a CSI,

Thank you,

Trevor

tmonaghan
Mood:

Re: EHIC sufficient for the first year?

Post by tmonaghan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Anyone there to help with this please? Just to confirm whether my theory is applicable?

The European Economic Area nationals: qualified persons on page 33 states the followings:

"You can only accept the valid EHIC as CSI if the applicant is living in the UK on a temporary basis."

So could the period from 01 January 2015 until starting work from the 01 October 2015 deemed temporary or should my partner have had a CSI instead of the EHIC for that period to qualify towards PR since he was then a Self-Sufficient person?

Many thanks,

Trevor