ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non EEA National with EEA2 Card - Benefits/Passport?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

eldamiano
Newly Registered

Non EEA National with EEA2 Card - Benefits/Passport?

Post by eldamiano » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:28 pm

I am a British national and my wife is a non-EEA national but has an EEA2 Residency Card as family member of an EEA National (we also have a daughter of British nationality). She has been here for around 6 years and did not claim benefits prior to receiving the residency card (when she then held an EEA Family Permit).

Is my wife able to claim Jobseekers Allowance without affecting her residency status?

She also wants to be able to apply for a British passport whenever eligible. Please could you advise whether claiming JSA would affect this?

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Non EEA National with EEA2 Card - Benefits/Passport?

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:48 pm

How does she have an EEA residence card if you are British.

Benefits have no effect on a citizenship application, but she needs proof of PR to apply for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

eldamiano
Newly Registered

Post by eldamiano » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:13 pm

I used to live in Spain and so was exercising my freedom of movement and she has been given right to live in the UK with a permit as a Family Member of an EEA national. We were still in Spain when she was granted the first 6-month permit.

When we filled in the EEA 2 (I think it was EEA 2), the applicable section was the Surinder Singh part.

Does this make more sense now? Apologies if I omitted any relevant information.

Is the residency card enough proof of citizenship?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:17 pm

She needs a DCPR - Document Certifying Permanent Residence - to qualify to apply for Citizenship. If she has 5 years residence, she can apply for the DCPR. Without this document, a citizenship application will be refused.

Please ask DCPR question in the EEA/EU sub forum, link below.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... lications/

Please ask British citizenship question in the relevant sub forum, link below.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/british-citizenship/

Continue asking any benefit related questions in this topic.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

eldamiano
Newly Registered

Post by eldamiano » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:32 am

I am fairly sure that the application for my wife's residency card was the same as for the DCPR (EEA (PR) form -https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... orm-eea-pr)

Therefore, when could she apply for citizenship and/or British passport? To confirm therefore, claiming Jobseeker's Allowance would not affect her claim for citizenship.

She is also worried that if we left the UK for a holiday, as we will do in March, that claiming benefits would affect her entry, as she was asked questions on the border control at the airport. I cant find any information to back this up. Please could you comment on this. Thank you again for your assistance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:41 am

CR001 wrote:Please ask DCPR question in the EEA/EU sub forum, link below.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... lications/

Please ask British citizenship question in the relevant sub forum, link below.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/british-citizenship/

Continue asking any benefit related questions in this topic.
Her card will say Permanent Residency on it. EEA2 is NOT permanent residence card. Please ask your relevant questions in the sub forums I have already provided. This topic is in the Claiming benefits forum and is ONLY for benefit questions.

Benefits DO NOT have ANY effect on citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)