ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marrying my girlfriend on tier 4

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

LJA555
Newly Registered

Marrying my girlfriend on tier 4

Post by LJA555 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi there,

Bit of a complex query. I want to marry my girlfriend who is on a tier 4 visa. We wish to give notice when we go home to my parents for Easter. The problem I have is deciding which address we should use for giving notice. We will be living with my parents in Easter and from June onwards but in May we will be at our separate term time addresses whilst we take our exams.

My plan was to to use my home time address (my parents) because thats where we both get our bank statements sent to, and where we will be living at the time of giving notice, but will the home office have a problem with us staying at different addresses for a month after?

Any advice at all would be extremely welcome :) .

Obie
Ireland

Re: Marrying my girlfriend on tier 4

Post by Obie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:25 pm

Do you meet the financial requirements?
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

LJA555
Newly Registered

Post by LJA555 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:28 pm

This is just for the marriage rather than the spouse visa

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:41 pm

Are you aware that you can only give notice to marry at a Home Office designated Registry Office and the Register is then legally bound to notify the HO who can then extend the notification period from 28 to 70 days in order for them to interview you both separately should they choose to do so before the wedding can take place?

You aren't required to be living together before you marry, you just need to show that the relationship is genuine and not simply a reason for your girlfriend to stay in the UK. When does her Tier 4 visa expire?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

LJA555
Newly Registered

Post by LJA555 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:49 pm

I understand all that stuff :) her visa doesn't expire until October, the only question I have is which address should we give when we register for marriage, we have two, one is our home address, we stay with my mum out of term time, and the other is our university addresses, for during term time. I just want to know whether I should give both addresses when registering or just the home one.

Thanks

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:05 pm

As you'll have to provide the Registrar proof of where you're both living I suggest you use the home address.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

LJA555
Newly Registered

Post by LJA555 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:08 pm

But the problem is after giving notice we will be away from the home address for a month whilst we take exams, so should we just inform the registrar of those details?

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:09 pm

Not necessary if you're able to have post forwarded to you from the home address.
(Casa, not CR001)