ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Refugee to contact own embassy without revealing new status

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

activist2
Newly Registered

Refugee to contact own embassy without revealing new status

Post by activist2 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I had a UK student visa before obtaining a refugee status in the UK.

My brother in my home country is asking me to obtain, from my home country embassy here, a proof of residence for me in the UK. He desperately needs this document in order to process critical paperwork. The embassy will ask me to produce my valid UK visa, which however is now expired.

The dilemma here is that if I communicated with the my home country embassy, this will jeopardise my refugee status. And if I didn't send this document to my brother, my entire family back at my home country will suffer from serious consequences.

My questions to you:

1. Is it possible to obtain a written permission from the Home Office for me to contact the embassy for this specific purpose?

2. If so, the embassy will unlikely to accept a copy of my expired student visa, but I don't want them to know about my refugee status (this will most likely cause serious consequences to my whole family in the home country). Will the Home Office provide me with official letter proving my legal residence in the UK but without revealing my refugee status?

I would highly appreciate any advice!

Thanks in advance

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Re: Refugee to contact own embassy without revealing new sta

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:58 pm

HO will not issue you a letter conferring your residence status. There is not a requirement to do so and you have access to a UK travel document and / or a BRP that confers your status in any event. If you are unwilling or unable to share that information that is not the concern of the HO.