ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residence Card on a visitor visa

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

frankat
Newly Registered

Residence Card on a visitor visa

Post by frankat » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:50 pm

Hi,
I am a (non-EU) spouse to a EU citizen who is studying, doing Dphil in UK at the moment. We have recently got married and in order to stay together immediately, i am in UK on a tourist/visitor visa.
my questions
1. can i apply for a residence card on a visitor visa being in UK; considering my husband is a qualified person.
or should i apply for the EEA family permit first and then apply for a residence card.
2. will it be legal to stay in UK if my visa expires during the application process. (i have 2 and half months validity left)
3. can i get a TB test done in UK itself.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Residence Card on a visitor visa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:54 pm

How did you manage to get married on a tourist visa?

Does your partner hold CSI (Comprehensive Sickness Insurance) if they are a student? This would be required for partner to be a 'qualified person'.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

frankat
Newly Registered

Post by frankat » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:08 pm

we got married in Italy, EU and then came to UK together.
and i have also received my italian 5 years residence permit.

we are on the process of checking about the CSI card though he has his Eurpean health insurance card.

Moreover, can i apply for residence card on a tourist visa?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:10 pm

Also, just to clarify, does your EEA citizen spouse hold British nationality himself/herself?

Yes, you can apply for a residence Card on a tourist visa.

The CSI needs to cover both him and you. So, an EHIC card (which covers just him) may not be sufficient.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

frankat
Newly Registered

Post by frankat » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:14 pm

No, my (EU)husband does not hold British nationality.
we only plan to stay in UK till his completion of his studies i.e. for next 3 years.

so for CSI,
we both need to apply for CSI card here in UK?

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:47 pm

Yes, but CSI isn't a card . It's Comprehensive Sickness Insurance which you are required to take out from a Health Insurance Provider.

A Google search will give you various options & costs.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:34 am

frankat wrote:Hi,
In order to stay together immediately, i am in UK on a tourist/visitor visa.
The right thing would have been to apply for a Family Permit, not a tourist visa. It's free and it would have probably ben faster, too...
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

frankat
Newly Registered

Post by frankat » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:13 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

Do i need to get comprehensive sicknesses insurance even for EEA family permit visa??
And can i apply eea family permit visa for longer than 6 months time.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:21 pm

If you go for a Family Permit, you need to go back to your country of origin and get it there. You cannot apply for a family permit in the UK, as the purpose of a Family Permit is precisely to allow you entry into the UK as a EEA family member, before you get your Residence Card.

A Family Permit is free, and has priority over tourist visa applications. That's why I was wondering why you went for a tourist visa instead. Does not make any sense (and the case worker will wonder the same thing).

I understand a Family Permit is only granted for 6 months, as, again, it is supposed to be a temporary document: Once you get a Family Permit you should arrange to have a Residence Card once you are in the UK.

I think yes, you will need CSI as your sponsor is a student.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.