ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PAUSE SPOUSE VISA DECISION MAKING - confused & frustrated!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dontree_g
Newly Registered

PAUSE SPOUSE VISA DECISION MAKING - confused & frustrated!

Post by dontree_g » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:49 am

So I went to VFS in Bangkok to submit my settlement visa application today and was told first thing that UKVI has decided to a pause on decisions for ALL settlement visa starting from February 22nd. VFS staff said that my application could take minimum four months as they won’t process settlement visa for the time being.

This came as a surprise, after being asked if I am still going to proceed with the submission, I asked them for the source of this announcement. They showed me an announcement with the first paragraph states as below.

“Following a Supreme Court judgment, the Home Office has paused decision-making on some applications – in particular, those failing to meet the minimum income threshold for British citizens sponsoring a non-EEA partner and non-EEA children. The reason for this pause is to enable the Home Office to consider the implications of the judgment. All other applications will continue to be processed and decided as normal.” Source: https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/china/engli ... ation.html

As English is not my native language, I had a read a couple of times and my interpretation to this is that the pause only applies for those who fail to meet the financial requirement. Have I understand this correctly? I tried to argue this with VFS staffs and they just firmly said ALL Settlement visa will be on hold.

vinny

Re: PAUSE SPOUSE VISA DECISION MAKING - confused & frustrate

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:21 am

You are correct.

Some VFS staff may be confused at the differences between the word "some" and "all".
VFS wrote:NON-EEA NATIONAL FAMILY APPLICATIONS
Following a Supreme Court judgment, the Home Office has paused decision-making on some applications – in particular, those failing to meet the minimum income threshold for British citizens sponsoring a non-EEA partner and non-EEA children. The reason for this pause is to enable the Home Office to consider the implications of the judgment. All other applications will continue to be processed and decided as normal.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

edandlu
Newly Registered

Post by edandlu » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:45 pm

Hi,

We are in Brazil waiting for a Settlement visa for my wife's child. She has a settlement visa already, I am a UK national and we handed our visa in on the 26th January and paid for priority. I earn over double the threshold, however our application has been paused too. ALL APPLICATIONS are paused with no date to be resolved. Our MP found this out for us.

If anyone has any ideas/ suggestions would be much appreciated as we have run out of ideas and are very frustrated and exhausted by the process.

*Vinny how do you know it is ALL visas - and do you have any further info?

zeksy1

Post by zeksy1 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:48 am

I also got this email yesterday I applied for spouse visa from Pakistan 14th Feb 2017. M confused tOo and also got another email at the same time that my case is not straightforward. I did priority service so expectin my decision in the coming week.

dontree_g
Newly Registered

Post by dontree_g » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:16 am

Just to give you a bit of update, it has been 15 working days and I have not had been contacted to collect my passport yet. It could be because they are busy or it is on hold, I cant be sure!

I have also called UKVI call centre and the lady said this applies for some applications based on the statement that was given to them. Anyway I still have my fingers crossed and hope for the best. My husband earns £32,000 a year based salary so surely they cannot hold this against us.

Hope you get any updates soon too, the wait is an absolute agony!

tchindy
Newly Registered

Post by tchindy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:25 pm

Hi,

My application has also been paused and my husband also meets the minimum threshold. I have called the UKVI and the lady explained that they have paused ALL (she even said "please highlight 'all'") settlement applications. Those generic emails and information are very confusing. She also said there is no date of when they will start processing applications again but an email will be sent to all applicants as soon as they do it.
This is very much frustrating, I really do hope they return to us soon!

uk_settle
Newly Registered

Post by uk_settle » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:52 pm

tchindy wrote:Hi,

My application has also been paused and my husband also meets the minimum threshold. I have called the UKVI and the lady explained that they have paused ALL (she even said "please highlight 'all'") settlement applications. Those generic emails and information are very confusing. She also said there is no date of when they will start processing applications again but an email will be sent to all applicants as soon as they do it.
This is very much frustrating, I really do hope they return to us soon!

I doubt the call center replies, they always exagerrate and tense the situation. I believe some applications are on hold which have slightest aota of confusion on the financial criteria (like cat A full time salaried are the easiest). I am saying this as I got my visa on 21st (see the timeline for proper details)

dontree_g
Newly Registered

Post by dontree_g » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:52 am

VFS staffs are not very helpful in giving valid information. I went to pick up my passport on the 23rd. Whilst trying to locate my passport, the lady said oh do you know that the HO has put a pause on ALL settlement visa application, I said yes I was informed the day of submission but I receive email yesterday that the decision was made!

I was granted the visa which took them 16 working days in total to process. So this seem to only apply to those which do not meet the financial requirement or any issues related to it.

Hope all of you get the decisions soon!

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:13 pm

I wonder if some delays are also due to documents of settlement applications from different countries being sent to Sheffield, UK? Do they have sufficient trained staff there to cope?

However, I believe that applications in Thailand are currently processed locally. Would that explain the relative speed of your result?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

edandlu
Newly Registered

Post by edandlu » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:36 am

We are still waiting - Now in week 10....

We get a different answer every time from the call centre and by emails, we have had; it is processed then all visas are being paused because of the Supreme Court case, then its being processed again.

It's the most frustrating period of my life as it is completely out of our hands and no one knows what is going on.

Our member of parliament has been writing for us directly to the Home Office and he is starting to get some progress - I really recommend doing the same if you can

Faith in humanity at an all time low

antmorgan88
Newly Registered

Post by antmorgan88 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:01 pm

Has anybody had any update on their paused visas? Myself and my Mexican partner got a similar message from an Entry Clearence Officer in Bogata through email. She said it failed to meet the financial requirement and would be paused. I replied explaining she should have been establishing adequate maintence....not a whisper from her but then another standard email saying the application was with an ECO and would be processed within the rules and usual time frame....am I meant to then assume it is no longer paused?? If this was any other govt department there would be an enquiry! Anyhow my guess is they are gradually taking them off hold as a case worker picks them up again so maybe a good sign?....

sakrasi
Newly Registered

Post by sakrasi » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:39 pm

Hello everyone! I'm new on this platform so will value all the help i can get. I applied for a spousal visa from Ghana. My wife is a British citizen. I was told about the pause with some applications when i put in my application. I applied using their priority service but haven't heard from the UKVI as yet. I am aware a number of people have mentioned about receiving emails saying their applications have been paused. I haven't received any such email. Is this good news? Does it mean my application is still being processed or considered?
When i applied for priority service they said to expect a response between 2-4weeks. I am in my second week currently.

Thanks in advance!

Sam in Ghana

tchindy
Newly Registered

Post by tchindy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:54 pm

edandlu wrote:Hi,

We are in Brazil waiting for a Settlement visa for my wife's child. She has a settlement visa already, I am a UK national and we handed our visa in on the 26th January and paid for priority. I earn over double the threshold, however our application has been paused too. ALL APPLICATIONS are paused with no date to be resolved. Our MP found this out for us.

If anyone has any ideas/ suggestions would be much appreciated as we have run out of ideas and are very frustrated and exhausted by the process.

*Vinny how do you know it is ALL visas - and do you have any further info?

Hi @edandlu,

Have you got any updates from the HO? Me and my husband have tried so many times but all they say is that they are waiting for legal advice and we should wait until then .. so frustrating

avivbr

Post by avivbr » Thu May 18, 2017 4:12 pm

Hey guys,
I also been waiting for updates on this "pause" in application processing. Received the email about the pause at the beginning of May. Enquiry service is responding in a laconic manner with a general response - "your application is being processed, please allow up to 24 weeks for decision". I am of course meeting the financial requirements and it has been more than 12 weeks like stated in UKVI service agreement.

Joining the general frustration here as my passport is held by UKVI and a decision is not yet to be made. Does anyone has an update or more information to shed on the matter?

Thanks

tchindy
Newly Registered

Post by tchindy » Fri May 19, 2017 2:28 pm

avivbr wrote:Hey guys,
I also been waiting for updates on this "pause" in application processing. Received the email about the pause at the beginning of May. Enquiry service is responding in a laconic manner with a general response - "your application is being processed, please allow up to 24 weeks for decision". I am of course meeting the financial requirements and it has been more than 12 weeks like stated in UKVI service agreement.

Joining the general frustration here as my passport is held by UKVI and a decision is not yet to be made. Does anyone has an update or more information to shed on the matter?

Thanks
Hey @avivbr, no updates so far, I contacted them again last week through email and got a reply stating the Decision Department would contact me to explain the situation. As expected, no one contacted me and when I asked again for a position, I got this:
" Settlements are on hold due to new ruling, this applicant falls into this category and was e-mail explaining his, if she would like to withdraw the application and re-apply she is welcome to or waiting a decision."
So not only they give me cryptic emails which they call explaining that are clear as mud, when I ask for an update after weeks and weeks, all I get is a short and very rude "you can wait or lump it".

Shocking.

ssbib

Post by ssbib » Fri May 19, 2017 4:49 pm

Is this a blanket thing for everybody or is it people who fall under certain categories? Lack of money, certain countries or where children are involved?

My wife has her appointment at VFS on 1st June. We meet financial requirements, no children and she is in the Philippines. I am hoping that she will not fall in to this pause situation.

avivbr

Post by avivbr » Fri May 19, 2017 7:20 pm

Hey @tchindy,
How long have you been waiting? My application was delivered on Feb 14th and still besides that generic cryptic email no response. When replied to my email, they said that 95% percent of the applications are processed within 12 weeks but 100% could last as long as 24 weeks. This is indeed really frustrating especially when you don't know when this nightmare will end and whereas in the end the decision would be approval or a rejection.

If anyone has some more information, please let us know.

swilliams1
Newly Registered

Post by swilliams1 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:58 am

I'm so sorry for anyone stuck in this situation. The lack of information from the government is appalling.

I find the wording of the statement to be very vague. On the VFS website, it states :

"Following a Supreme Court judgment, the Home Office has paused decision-making on some applications – in particular, those failing to meet the minimum income threshold for British citizens sponsoring a non-EEA partner and non-EEA children. The reason for this pause is to enable the Home Office to consider the implications of the judgment. All other applications will continue to be processed and decided as normal."

So 'some applications' does not specify which ones. 'In particular' suggests that there are others in addition to those 'failing to meet the minimum income threshold'.

Could it mean that they are only processing applications where the financial requirements are being met by income, rather than other means? Or perhaps it means that only in cases where income is used to meet the financial requirements but that income is not enough. If that is the case, why would the person apply in the first place?

ukrainian2017
Newly Registered

Post by ukrainian2017 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:40 pm

I'm from Ukraine and my husband meet financial requirements (salaried, way more than MIR).
We applied on 25th Jan 2017, got my passport with this generic mail in the beginning of May. No response whatsoever.

So not sure why exactly we've been put on hold.

ukrainian2017
Newly Registered

Post by ukrainian2017 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:42 pm

avivbr wrote: When replied to my email, they said that 95% percent of the applications are processed within 12 weeks but 100% could last as long as 24 weeks.
what does it mean? maybe 5% can last as 24 weeks?

avivbr

Post by avivbr » Mon May 22, 2017 11:02 am

It means that they can hold your application for up to 24 weeks. The statistics is not helpful when you are in the 5%.

tchindy
Newly Registered

Post by tchindy » Mon May 22, 2017 12:52 pm

avivbr wrote:Hey @tchindy,
How long have you been waiting? My application was delivered on Feb 14th and still besides that generic cryptic email no response. When replied to my email, they said that 95% percent of the applications are processed within 12 weeks but 100% could last as long as 24 weeks. This is indeed really frustrating especially when you don't know when this nightmare will end and whereas in the end the decision would be approval or a rejection.

If anyone has some more information, please let us know.

I have been waiting for 19 weeks now, my application was delivered in January and I got that email on March 07th, 9 days before my chosen travel date.
We can only hope that they give us an update before these 24 weeks.

Please let us know if anyone has got any updates or their decision.

Trick
Newly Registered

Post by Trick » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:45 am

I'm applying from Vietnam. settlements fiancé (non -priority)
submitted 20 February 2017 and 2 jun I received mail hold on . Office location processing in Bangkok Thailand.and untill now I'm still waiting for decisions .we so much nervous