ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Youth mobility visa to EEA extended family application

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Camelsaddle
Newly Registered

Youth mobility visa to EEA extended family application

Post by Camelsaddle » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:23 pm

Hello,

I am a Canadian living in the UK on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa that ends on April 23, 2017. My partner of 2.5 years is a Romanian student who just received her permanent residence card and has been in the UK for 7 years. We have resided together for all of the time we have been together minus the time that I was in Canada applying for the Tier 5.

I am in the process of applying through the EEA extended family application for an RC. Once I send my documents off I will have 7 weeks until my youth mobility visa expires. When I applied for the tier 5 visa it explicitly stated that I could not transfer to another visa, and I had to leave the country before the expiration date. If I stay while waiting on the RC will I be in trouble at the border in the future?

Also, our supporting documents may not be very strong. I received no mail in the first 9 months of living together and we only really have digital photos as evidence. We have considered marriage to solidify our rights in the UK, but from what I'm reading this may now be "marrying for convenience"? Is the EEA extended family application our best option?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Joel

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Youth mobility visa to EEA extended family application

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:49 pm

To qualify as 'durable partner', you are required to send rock solid evidence of cohabitation in 'a relationship akin to marriage' for a minimum of 2 years.

If your visa expires while you are waiting for a decision on the EEA EFM application, you will be considered and overstayer as you have no protection under section 3C of the immigration rules.

If you have been in a relationship and have evidence, unlikely it will be viewed as 'marriage of convenience'.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

MrSlyFox

Post by MrSlyFox » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:06 pm

You might want to consider traveling outside of the UK and applying for an EEA family permit, then a Residence card upon your return to the UK. An EEA family permit also gives you the right-to-work while they process your application which according to the timelines on here might be longer than six months. Also means you won't have been considered an overstayer if they reject your application.

Camelsaddle
Newly Registered

Post by Camelsaddle » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:49 pm

Wow, thanks for the quick and concise replies!

So if we get married and can more easily prove our relationship do my options change? Or will I be risking overstaying no matter what?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:52 pm

Marrying will be better as you are the a direct family member and your rights as spouse of EU cit are valid from the date of marriage. You should still apply for a residence card though.

You might not have enough time to register to marry in the UK though, especially if HO extend the notice period from 28 days to 70 days.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.