ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british citizenship for child born in india

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

annu
Newly Registered

british citizenship for child born in india

Post by annu » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:14 am

Hi all,

I am a british citizen and my child was born in india 4 months back. I have applied for the passport and received the same. I am in india. what are the documents required for this. where should I apply. please advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:48 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

annu
Newly Registered

Post by annu » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:19 am

Senior members, can any body who already got the child's visa, let me know the process? or request the senior members to let me know the process.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:35 am

You question does not make sense. You say you have the passport, then you ask what documents you need for it?

Vinny, the link-meister has given you the information why don't you read it?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

annu
Newly Registered

Post by annu » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:29 am

Hi Guru,

By getting passport, I mean, I have applied for the new one for the baby and received it from british high commission. I need to go for visa no. Please let me know.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:49 am

If the baby is British then why on earth are you asking about a visa?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:04 am

Does the original poster perhaps mean an Indian visa in the child's British passport, to enable the child to travel with the parents to the UK?

annu
Newly Registered

Post by annu » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:44 am

I am a British citizen and currently in india. My baby was born here in india only. We will be travelling[Myself and Baby] to UK. My Baby's entry is for the first time. I have applied for the my Baby's passport in india to British high commission and received it.

Can my Baby travel with this passport to UK or do I have to go to embassy for separate stamping on the Baby's passport. Hope I am clear with my question.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:10 am

A valid British passport describing the person as a British citizen is sufficient proof of the Right of abode in the UK.
Immigration Act 1971 (c. 77) wrote:1.
General principles.
— (1) All those who are in this Act expressed to have the right of abode in the United Kingdom shall be free to live in, and to come and go into and from, the United Kingdom without let or hindrance except such as may be required under and in accordance with this Act to enable their right to be established or as may be otherwise lawfully imposed on any person.
Chapter 3 - Right of abode wrote:3.3 - Proof of right of abode
Under Section 3(9) of the 1971 Act, as amended by the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006, a person claiming right of abode in the UK must prove it by presenting either:

* a United Kingdom passport or an ID Card issued under the Identity Cards Act 2006 describing the person as a British citizen; or
See also Indian nationality law.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:57 am

annu wrote:Can my Baby travel with this passport to UK or do I have to go to embassy for separate stamping on the Baby's passport. Hope I am clear with my question.
Yes, to answer your question, and as Vinny says above, your baby will be able to enter the UK with his or her British passport.

The passport might, however, need to be endorsed with an exit visa or similar so that the baby can leave India (nothing to do with the British situation). Others will be able to advise on that...

annu
Newly Registered

Post by annu » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:17 am

Thanks Vinny and Thanks Christophe.