ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Guidance need for house hunt / jobs / banking in the UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

KV

Guidance need for house hunt / jobs / banking in the UK

Post by KV » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:37 am

I will be arriving in the UK by mid of March. I just wanted to know from you who are already in the UK on how to go about finding a house and job :). Actually some people are advising that initially its a good idea to stay as a PG (even for a couple, as i will be arriving with my wife), as the independent house costs around 1000 pounds (including taxes).

For Jobs, I have been trying thru net, but no luck so far (I am an IT professional). Again, there is a theory that once you land in the UK, jobs are easier to get. is that true? How do we go about finding a job once we land there.

About bank statements: It takes a long time to open a bank account i guess. Is there anyway to expedite the same...like bringing reco letter from banks in India etc?

Thanks...

[Edited by Cosmopol] KV, this topic is not HSMP-related, so I'll move it shortly to UK Jobs. Thanks.

Sher

Post by Sher » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:49 pm

I will be arriving in the UK by mid of March. I just wanted to know from you who are already in the UK on how to go about finding a house and job . Actually some people are advising that initially its a good idea to stay as a PG (even for a couple, as i will be arriving with my wife), as the independent house costs around 1000 pounds (including taxes).
U r right.
www.rightmove.co.uk will give u an idea of the areawise rents prevailing in the UK.
For Jobs, I have been trying thru net, but no luck so far (I am an IT professional). Again, there is a theory that once you land in the UK, jobs are easier to get. is that true? How do we go about finding a job once we land there.
Most HSMP holders confirm that as true.
Ensure net connectivity on landing as much as contact with recruiting agencies.
About bank statements: It takes a long time to open a bank account i guess. Is there anyway to expedite the same...like bringing reco letter from banks in India etc?

Most people on this forum suggest difficulty with bank accounts. Here is an idea that one person on this site reported he/she was successful with:
Take one's good (home country) banking record with one of these banks in to open an account with them there !

State Bank of India, 1 Milk Street, London EC2P 2JP (0171)-600-6444
Canara Bank, Longbow House, 14-20 Chiswell Street, (0171)-628-2187
Bank of India, Park House, 16 Finsbury Circus, London EC2M 7DJ (0171)-628-3165
Bank of Baroda, 31-32 King Street, London EC2V 8EN (0171)-606 8888
ANZ Banking Group Ltd, Minerva house, Montague close, (0171)-378 2300
Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corp, 10 Lower thames street (0171) 638 2442
Bank Of America International Ltd, 1 Aillie Street, London E1 8DE (0171) 634 4000

(please do check the above for latest addresses/ contact details)

U will also find on this site, monthly household expense for individuals. Read a detailed one by Ajay Kumar Singh
nJOY !
may u grow by leaps and pounds !

:roll:

John

Post by John » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:55 pm

KV, where in the UK do you intend to live?

Very general comment ..... housing costs are lower outside of London but then salaries might also be lower as well.
John

technician

Post by technician » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:49 am

Hi Sher, KV and chess

I am having my account with State Bank of India, here in India for over 10 years with good record and bank balance.

What type of introduction letter I need to bring to UK so as to facilitate the opening of new account in UK.

Can anyone give me the format of such letter. The bank manager is good here and understands me. He will give me this letter upon my request.

Thanks
TECH
Team work- Nurturing Talents