ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice needed - dual nationality

Australia: Points Calculator | Skilled Immigration
New Zealand: Points Calculator | work visas

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

clarey3
Newly Registered

Advice needed - dual nationality

Post by clarey3 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:37 pm

Help, i thought having dual nationality would make things easier, but im more confused than ever

basically im british, but as my mum is from NZ i have dual nationality and now have a NZ passport as well. I have never been there.

I am travelling to Australia, for 3 months and i assume that i can enter australia without a visa, on my NZ passport. do I leave the UK with my UK passport? I then am flying from AUstralia to NZ. I am just really confused on what passports to use where, I assume i can just use the NZ one right from the uk onwards. Just feel like maybe its wrong entering australia on a NZ passport, even though im coming from the Uk and have never been to NZ.

sorry if this doesnt make sense!

Also i have no idea what to do about travel insurance, will i need it? I plan to stay permanently in NZ, so can go under the medical system there, but my trip to oz is only a short one,

Can any one help? thanks

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: Advice needed - dual nationality

Post by Christophe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:54 pm

This is what I would do in your position.

1. In the UK, departing for Australia:
(a) Checking in to the flight: show your NZ passport
(b) At UK exit passport control (if the desks are staffed): show your British passport
(c) At the plane door: show your NZ passport

2. On arrival in Australia, at Australian entry passport control, show your NZ passport.

3. Travelling between Australia and NZ (in either direction) you need only use your NZ passport.

4. In either Australia or NZ, departing for the UK (if you ever make a trip back):
(a) Checking in to the flight: show your British passport
(b) At any security check: doesn't matter, but easiest to use your NZ passport, probably
(c) At NZ/Australian exit passport control: show your NZ passport
(d) At the plane door: show your British passport

5. On arrival in the UK, at UK entry passport control, show your British passport.

This is because the purpose of the passport check varies:
  • • Airlines check your passport to make sure that the name matches the name on the ticket but primarily to ensure that you have the correct papers to be admitted to your destination country.
    • The security check on departure is just that: if they ask for your passport it is to ensure that the passport and the boarding pass match.
    • The official passport check on leaving a country is to make sure that you are not an illegal immigrant or a wanted criminal (basically) and to record your departure (in the case of Australia and NZ, which keep such records).
    • The check at the plane door is just the airline making a last-minute check about documentation again.
    • The official passport check on arrival in a country is to make sure that you are admissible and to give you permission to enter if it is needed.
Remember that there is nothing unusual in being a dual national, and you are able to carry and use both the passports that you are entitled to hold. There is no need to show both passports at once, although obviously if someone with reasonable grounds to ask wants you to produce the other passport, you should do so. (It is most unlikely that this will happen, however.) In particular, your being a citizen of both the UK and NZ is not a situation that is likely to surprise anyone who is remotely connected with the travel industry in the UK, NZ or Australia.

The fact that you have never been to New Zealand doesn't matter: New Zealand, in common with Australia and the UK (and many other countries), allows citizenship by descent, and citizens by descent, by definition, may never have been to the country of their citizenship. So there is nothing unusual in the fact that this is your first trip to NZ, and it doesn't make you any less a New Zealand citizen.

As to travel insurance, I would take out ordinary travel insurance for the Australian part of your trip. You are probably entitled to emergency health care, but you should have travel insurance anyway, and the medical coverage will be more comprehensive. For NZ, you need to be sure that you will be covered by the medical system there immediately on your arrival for medical cover; if not, you might want to look at top-up insurance. (Someone else might know the situation for new NZ citizen arrivals in NZ...)

Enjoy the trip and good luck with what sounds like a new life in NZ!

JAJ
Australia

Re: Advice needed - dual nationality

Post by JAJ » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:35 am

Christophe wrote: The fact that you have never been to New Zealand doesn't matter: New Zealand, in common with Australia and the UK (and many other countries), allows citizenship by descent, and citizens by descent, by definition, may never have been to the country of their citizenship. So there is nothing unusual in the fact that this is your first trip to NZ, and it doesn't make you any less a New Zealand citizen.
Except that she will not be allowed to pass on her NZ citizenship to any non-NZ born children she has herself.

As the plan is to stay in NZ permanently, there is a solution for this - after 5 years, NZ citizens are allowed to apply to become naturalised citizens (like any migrant) which means they can then pass on their citizenship to overseas born children.

http://www.citizenship.govt.nz has details.

JR08
Newly Registered

Post by JR08 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:34 pm

If you want to know about health care in NZ, you should check the NZ Ministry of health website: www.moh.govt.nz

If I'm not mistaken, legislation was changed in recent years which means that NZ citizens, regardless of whether they are permanently residing (or have plans to permanently reside) in NZ will be eligible for publicly funded health care in NZ: http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/indexmh/ ... -nzcitizen

In Australia, you should be covered by bilateral health agreements that Australia has with NZ - this should cover any emergency care you required. For further information you may want to check out www.medicare.gov.au You may also be covered by bilateral health agreements with the UK if you are a UK resident/British citizen.

JAJ - what you said about NZ citizens by descent applying for NZ citizenship by grant seems interesting, but there doesn't seem to be any information on the website. Also - i wonder whether other countries have similar provisions?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:51 am

JR08 wrote: JAJ - what you said about NZ citizens by descent applying for NZ citizenship by grant seems interesting, but there doesn't seem to be any information on the website.
It's there:
http://www.citizenship.govt.nz/diawebsi ... enDocument

What are the benefits of claiming a grant of citizenship instead of citizenship by descent?

* Citizens by descent have all the rights of New Zealand citizenship, except that they cannot pass on their citizenship to any children born overseas.
* Citizens by descent can receive a grant of New Zealand citizenship providing they meet all of the general requirements.

Reference is also made in sections 8 and 9 of the Citizenship Act:
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/publ ... whole.html
Also - i wonder whether other countries have similar provisions?
I know of no other country which specifically makes provision for citizens by descent to be naturalised. However, some countries do allow those who are citizens by descent (where this is a factor) to pass on their citizenship further:

- Australia : After 2 years residence in Australia, citizens by descent are automatically on a par with citizens by birth

- U.K. : With 3 years residence in the U.K. a British citizen by descent can (in some circumstances) pass on citizenship further, per section 3(2) of the 1981 Act.