ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US Visa Waiver Question

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Rohke
Newly Registered

US Visa Waiver Question

Post by Rohke » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:57 am

Hi,
I am here just simply to ask a question that is relevant to Visa Waiver Program Only ,

I am from Australia, and about 7 weeks ago i returned from my trip to the U.S for a stay of about 65 days, and then returned home, No problems either way , but my question lies here,

I am travelling back to the United states soon, again to spend time with my loved one,
And my question is,

Regarding that previous information When i re-enter the U.S ,
Providing that i have already completed the new ESTA , and all that and will probaly have to fill out the Form just like i did the first time?
Will i get a new Visa Waiver ? ( 90day stay ) ?
Or will only have a 5 day stay?

Or can i enter at all?

I can't find any information on this directly ,
All i find is information saying that you cant re-enter and get a renewed one if you go to one of the adjacent islands ( canada ect ).

I would appreciate greatly any help i can get on this matter,

Thank you.

Julien Grants
Newly Registered

Post by Julien Grants » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:00 pm

Hi,
I have a similar question so I thought I'd better post here instead of creating a new topic.
I'm from France, I have an e-passport and I'd like to go to the US for 3 months. I've never been there yet and I was wondering : after these 3 months, what would happen if I wanted to go back there ? Can I go back with the visa waiver program, do I have to wait for some time, are there any rules about those cases ?
Thanks in advance.

BAI
Newly Registered

Post by BAI » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:28 am

I don't think there is a rule as to how many days/ months you have to be out of the US before returning back for visits. However, if you keep returning on the VWP on a frequently basis with short breaks in between, CBP officers might question the genuiness of your visits. Apart from that if your situation hasn't changed then you can use the VWP to travel to the US as many times as you want.

Julien Grants
Newly Registered

Post by Julien Grants » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:34 am

Some people have told me that if you don't have a visa, you cannot stay more than 6 months per year in the US. Have you ever heard about that ?

darko

Post by darko » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:12 pm

Julien Grants wrote:Some people have told me that if you don't have a visa, you cannot stay more than 6 months per year in the US. Have you ever heard about that ?
With visa normally they stamp your I-94 for 6 months at the port of entry. This could be extended but you have to apply through USCIS... Not sure it is a good idea though, because after you leave the country and try to re-enter they will question your long stay here.

lifeart

Post by lifeart » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:35 pm

There is no specific time restriction as far as how long you have to be absent from the US, but many visits (like for several weeks each) with only short sojourns to your home country will get noticed. You will then be questioned, quite vigorously, as to whether you really are living in the US and not just visiting. The onus here is on you. In other words: you need to show VERY strong ties to your home country. If they refuse entry at this point (and that is likely) you will then not be able to travel on VW. So, be careful...