ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

H1B Visa for British Citizen

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

desperado

H1B Visa for British Citizen

Post by desperado » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:40 am

Hello all,

I recently read an article on workpermit.com that special work visa are issued to australian ITprofessionals. That is they don't have to wait until Oct 05 fiscal year begins or don't have to compete with rest of the countries for 65000 visa quota.

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2005_05_ ... _it_e3.htm

Is there any special scheme like that for british citizens? or do we have to wait until Oct 05 for the H1B visa quota to begin?

I'm an british citizen and IT professional with 10+ yrs of experience and planning to do contracting work in the US for couple of years or so and then return back to UK. There is no scheme like HSMP in US is it? I have to find a company in US who could sponsor my H1B visa...is that correct?

I want to work as an independent contractor in US as software architect/lead developer/consultant and can't find any information how I can work independly without having to work for a single company. I Can't be bothered to work for someone like bench scheme where I get a % from that contracting company.

Is there US recruitment agencies who sponsor H1B visa for a fee and I get to work independly without him charging the clients $70/hr and I get $20/hr from him. I want to directly charge the client.

Could you share your experience please.

Thank you.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:55 pm

I recently read an article on workpermit.com that special work visa are issued to australian ITprofessionals. That is they don't have to wait until Oct 05 fiscal year begins or don't have to compete with rest of the countries for 65000 visa quota.

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2005_05_ ... _it_e3.htm

Is there any special scheme like that for british citizens? or do we have to wait until Oct 05 for the H1B visa quota to begin?
You seem to be talking about the new E3 class a congressionaly mandated provision only applicable to Australian nationals expected to commence in September/ October 2005. As a British citizen you would be looking at the standard H1 quota. I understand 40,000 of the 65,000 quotas for next FY are already used up.
I'm an british citizen and IT professional with 10+ yrs of experience and planning to do contracting work in the US for couple of years or so and then return back to UK. There is no scheme like HSMP in US is it? I have to find a company in US who could sponsor my H1B visa...is that correct?
Yes you would require sponsorship.
I want to work as an independent contractor in US as software architect/lead developer/consultant and can't find any information how I can work independly without having to work for a single company. I Can't be bothered to work for someone like bench scheme where I get a % from that contracting company.
You can have multiple H1 sponsors but it may be practically impossible to work for all the employers and meet the conditions of H1 issuance..think of it as having multiple UK work permits valid at the same time..nice to have but what juggling. It may be easier to be employed say by a 'reputable' consulting firm and work on various client sites negating concerns about benching.
Is there US recruitment agencies who sponsor H1B visa for a fee and I get to work independly without him charging the clients $70/hr and I get $20/hr from him. I want to directly charge the client.
Charging the client directly is self employment. AFAIK only lawful permanent residents, US citizens or those in a specified visa class e.g. E1 Treaty can do such.

Might be worth getting in touch with an attorney - most areas of US Immigration are strictly not DIY territory. I believe our hosts have such expertise - note this is not an endorsment or otherwise of their service.