ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Query

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dbroc
Newly Registered

ILR Query

Post by dbroc » Tue May 04, 2004 10:03 am

Hi!

I'm a UK citizen and my wife is Japanese.
We have a child that was born here in the UK.
I've just started claiming child benefit (in my name)
Will the fact that I'm claiming child benefit effect my wifes application for ILR?
She isn't claiming any benefit.
Should I cease claiming child benefit?
Thanks for reading

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Tue May 04, 2004 10:30 am

Good question - what about if one of the parents has ILR and the other has not got it.

Will claiming child benefit affect the ILR application? BTW, How much is Child Benefit per year????

How about Gordon Brown's Baby Bond of £500?, can that be claimed as well???
Where there is a will there is a way.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue May 04, 2004 10:39 am

Easy Chess - you got, expecting or planning a family :D

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Tue May 04, 2004 10:53 am

Kayalami wrote:Easy Chess - you got, expecting or planning a family :D

Kaya,

Every little helps - I heard on the news this morning that it is more expensive to raise a Child than to buy a property :roll:

Current estimates are:

Average house in the UK about £150K.

Average cost of raising a child up to university age (whatever that is) is £160K.

The later you leave it before getting offsprings the more exoensive iut gets - unless the Chancellor of the exchequer increases the baby bond 8)
Where there is a will there is a way.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue May 04, 2004 3:48 pm

Spouses of British Citizens or those with Indefnite Leave to Remain (ILR) who themselves only have Limited Leave to Remain (LTR) and thus a condition of 'no recourse to public funds' are allowed under a Home Office concession to claim child benefit, children's tax credit and working families tax credits on behalf of their family.

Likewise British Citizens and those holding ILR are entitled to receive any benefits due to them even where their spouse only holds LTR and thus the condition 'no recourse to public funds' as long as the BC/ILR holder does not get any extras because of their spouse e.g. a BC/ILR holder who receives a single person's Job Seekers Allowance then applies to get a couples rate after his/her marriage to someone with limited LTR. In this case the spouse on LTR would be deemed to be acessing public funds.

dbroc
Newly Registered

ILR Child bebefit queary

Post by dbroc » Tue May 04, 2004 5:30 pm

Thankyou very much for the advice.
Really appreciate it!
Claiming child benefit shouldn't cause problems then.