ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work Permit Dependant Visa - job search

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dd_2004
Newly Registered

Work Permit Dependant Visa - job search

Post by dd_2004 » Tue May 04, 2004 3:20 pm

Hello there,

I am posting in this forum hoping for some advice on how to tackle this particular issue.

I have been working as a work permit holder for 3 yrs 3 months in the UK in leeds. My wife successfully got a work permit dependant visa and joined me 3 months ago.

She's recently started job hunting...however she is having problems getting job offers inspite of having more than 3 years of work ex in a managerial position in India.

The problem seems to be the fact that she doesn't have a National Insurance number and/or she has been in the UK for just 3 months and/or 'cuz she is a work permit dependant visa holder. She is going for interviews and is successful in the interviews, however, at the last moment
when they get to know about her immigration status, she is being told that she cannot be offered a job!

This is inspite of the fact that there are no restrictions to her working in the uk...

We are at a loss how to get across this issue and would appreciate any advice on how to tackle the problem.

Thanks and Regards,
dd_2004

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Tue May 04, 2004 4:23 pm

It's unfair... I also wonder if it's legal to refuse a job solely on the basis of status :?

If you are looking for simple practical steps, you may want to i) keep looking and hope there soon is a firm that's not be bothered by this issue; ii) add a line on the resume stating the facts (i.e., currently in WP dependant status allowed to work without restrictions, will be settled in 9 months) - this should clarify everything upfront and screen out those unwilling to deal with the issue, so you know if you are called for an interview, they are aware; iii) work on refining the presentation of the issue - sometimes it's not so rational, and the way facts are presented may tip the scales.

Good luck.
Last edited by Cosmopol on Tue May 04, 2004 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dd_2004
Newly Registered

Post by dd_2004 » Tue May 04, 2004 4:51 pm

Thanks Cosmopol for your reply.

However I was wondering whether it would be possible to get any sort of a letter from the UK immigration authorities stating that there are no restrictions for my wife to work in the UK?

Can anybody give any guidance towards the same?

Thanks and Regards,
Deb

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue May 04, 2004 4:55 pm

dd_2004
Newly Registered

Post by dd_2004 » Wed May 05, 2004 11:47 am

Thanks Kayalami for your response, it has really shed light on how to tackle the issue.

Thanks and Regards,
dd_2004