ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

T2Australian with French EEA child - claiming child benefit?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

manoushka
Newly Registered

T2Australian with French EEA child - claiming child benefit?

Post by manoushka » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:49 pm

Hi there,

I would like to know if I am entitled to claim the Child Benefit for my particular situation.

I am Australian and am married to a French national and we have an 18 month old daughter who is also French. I have recently been offered a job in the UK and have now received my Tier 2 work visa and will be moving to the UK in early May with my daughter to take up my 4 year position. My husband at this stage, will stay in France in his current job.

In my passport, my Tier 2 visa states "No recourse to public funds", however, after reading the brochure from the Home Office titled "No recourse to public funds, what does it mean?" I am uncertain if I am entitled to claim the Child Benefit for my 18 month old daughter. In the brochure it says if I am living with an EEA national which can be my child, then YES I am entitled to claim the child benefit. To be sure, I called the Home Office and the person I spoke with said, I could be eligible but could not give me a straight answer since my situation was not usual with the child being EEA national and myself not. He then advised me to call the HMRC Child Benefit office for further guidance. AFter speaking to someone there, I still couldn't get an answer. The lady suggested I send in an application anyway and see if it is deemed eligible.

I would really like to know if anyone else out there could offer more concrete guidance, as I certainly do not want to be in breach of my conditions. For information, I am not eligible to claim Tax Credits of any sort.
Thanks so much.

manoushka
Newly Registered

Post by manoushka » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:51 am

Anyone, please?