ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Photograph Requirement for Extension (HSMP to Tier 1)

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Excellence
Newly Registered

Post by Excellence » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:25 pm

Hello House,

I am about to put in my application for an extension of leave to remain under Tier 1 but confused on the issue of the Photograph requirement with regards to the background.

I saw a document that says only a cream or a light grey background will be acceptable. All my dependants and I have taken our photographs in a studio but the background is white.

Will our applications be rejected if we submit these? I know they used to accept photographs with a white background in the past but a new document (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... pbs/193059) on their site says otherwise.

Has anybody experienced this? Please, I need responses from the great people of this forum

Regards,

Excellence

tapindersingh
Mood:
India

Post by tapindersingh » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:28 pm

The photographs should be fine with white background

Excellence
Newly Registered

Post by Excellence » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:20 pm

Thanks for your response tapindersingh. What got me confused a part of the new Photo guidance on this link:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... pbs/193059

It states that:

"If you choose to use a professional photographer, please ensure that they are aware of the format requirements specified in this guidance, particularly that the photographs will not show a white background when printed"

This document was published in November 2008. Is there a better explanation for this statement other than that the background shouldn't be white.

Please guys, I need more clarification. Has anybody got an application approved with a photogragh with a white background recently?

lionfly

Post by lionfly » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:35 am

The following is a surprise to me. I thought a bright white background is better than grey, and the photo should be more acceptable if taken from professional photographers.

Does Home Office require the professional visa photographer to change background to light grey or cream? by using Photoshop?
"If you choose to use a professional photographer, please ensure that they are aware of the format requirements specified in this guidance, particularly that the photographs will not show a white background when printed"

bani

Post by bani » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:55 am

I take my own passport photos too. But I have Photoshop so I can make sure the head size is 30mm, photo is 35x45mm, remove any shadow and use levels to make the background white. I usually get it printed at Bootsphoto (20p for 6x4 in photo fits 8 passport photos, shipping is £1+). I'm vain, I need to take 10 of my own neutral expression digital shots before I'm happy, no professional photographer will put up with that :).

lionfly

Post by lionfly » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:58 am

But the guidance says "will NOT show a white background" !

MVaibhav
Newly Registered

Post by MVaibhav » Tue May 26, 2009 11:13 am

Does it matter if you are using different quality of paper for printing ? like Glossy, matt, semi-matt, super glossy ?

I used to use either self clicked photos printed on normal GLOSSY paper at Jessops (8 photos on a normal 4*6 photo).
or photobooth (though I hate these photos), they use some kind of matt papers, but not the same as use as I use for my casual snaps printing at Jessops.

This time I used the Jessops passport service where they click and print your passport photos, however I noticed that the paper quality is different from Glossy ( as in previous 4*6 photo i used ) or from the photo that I used to get from the photobooth machine.

I also read somewhere that it should be on Super Glossy paper for passport photos, but not able to find that reference right now. the photoguideline document does not say anything about that.

Do you guys have any clue, what is the best bet to print the photos for visa application, if you are clicking the photos on your own and printing at a professional outlet like Jessops, boots etc.

Want to know that just out of curiosity.

cheers

tipu20

Post by tipu20 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:28 pm

Hi

There is no specific Paper requirment, the photo need to be as per above pdf link specially the dimentions and closeup of the photo.

for My extension application i took pictures and got them printed in Asda with white and grey background and sent both of them as their form for PBS dependent says the photos need to be white background , the above pdf says it need to be against light background e.g grey. The Immigration Call center will also tell you white background.

I have also seen few cases on this forum whos application was rejected because the photos was not upto specifications & one case who was asked to provide photos (I guess it depent on case worker) legaly they can reject your application as documented in Tier 1 Form.

I will suggest you get them done professionally as they will be way cheaper than your Tier 1 Fee.

Regards,
Tipu
MVaibhav wrote:Does it matter if you are using different quality of paper for printing ? like Glossy, matt, semi-matt, super glossy ?

I used to use either self clicked photos printed on normal GLOSSY paper at Jessops (8 photos on a normal 4*6 photo).
or photobooth (though I hate these photos), they use some kind of matt papers, but not the same as use as I use for my casual snaps printing at Jessops.

This time I used the Jessops passport service where they click and print your passport photos, however I noticed that the paper quality is different from Glossy ( as in previous 4*6 photo i used ) or from the photo that I used to get from the photobooth machine.

I also read somewhere that it should be on Super Glossy paper for passport photos, but not able to find that reference right now. the photoguideline document does not say anything about that.

Do you guys have any clue, what is the best bet to print the photos for visa application, if you are clicking the photos on your own and printing at a professional outlet like Jessops, boots etc.

Want to know that just out of curiosity.

cheers

wp2tier1

Post by wp2tier1 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:38 pm

Dont panic too much about it. Just go to any self service photo booths which gives passport size photos or go to a studio and ask for passport size photo. It will be fine.

http://immigrationadviceandassistance.blogspot.com/