ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

how much money(pounds) one can take from delhi to london

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

simar

how much money(pounds) one can take from delhi to london

Post by simar » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:02 am

Hi Guys,
One basic question. What is the limit of funds that one can carry either as cash or traveler’s check. I have heard it is 3500 pounds from business travelers. Will that limit is also applicable to HSMP people.

Please see if some body can send some link where details of the limit is given. On other day a person going from Delhi to London was caught because he was carrying pounds worth 22 lakhs.
I was intended to carry around 3000 pounds ( 1000 cash + 2000 TC) + 2000 USD( cash).

Will it be okay

Please respond urgent as I have travel on 5th October

regards

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:13 am

UK government wont stop you bringing in Billions of Rupees if ypu have them; however check with Indian authorities for limit of funds to be taken out...
Where there is a will there is a way.

simar

Post by simar » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:49 am

I will request people who have moved from india to UK to please respond to my query..

John

Post by John » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:11 am

simar wrote: I was intended to carry around 3000 pounds ( 1000 cash + 2000 TC) + 2000 USD( cash).
The UK has no exchange control so there is not a problem as regards bringing in whatever amount you like.

However there are money laundering regulations and the larger the amount of cash or "near cash" such as TCs you deposit ata bank the greater chance of you encountering a problem.

Also, am I reading this correctly? You are intending to convert Indian currency into US$? And then presumably converting those into Sterling? You like paying lots of exchange costs? Can't you get Sterling? And Sterling TCs?
John

simar

Post by simar » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:54 am

Dear John,
I have already converted rupees to pounds i.e. 1000 pounds + 2000 TCs in pounds thorugh thomas cook .
The USD I already have in my locker as I have made many trips to US( 10 year B1 visa holder) during my professional career.

What I feels is getting upto 3500 pounds i.e. 1000 pounds + 2500 pound’s TC is safe in business trip. Anything more might be problem.

If could not get concrete link/ advise I will safely carry only 3000 pounds with me. Will leave USD back home.

dhana
Newly Registered

Post by dhana » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:58 am

I think the problem faced is that Indian ruppee is not fully convertible. I think you need to check at the airport exchange office how much money they will legally let you carry. Anything above that need to be in cheques and should be approved by the RBI arm dealing in forex. I think it was FERA or something.
If all this is problem its best to convert it into something like gold and carry with you as an ornament if you need to be absolutely secure. Carrying Dollars or GBP might be risky and as John pointed out you might be caught for money laundering.
Also as John pointed out you will risk loosing quite a big sum on double conversion. If you cannot buy pounds in India it might be better to carry ruppees and convert in UK. On another note it might be wise because atleast you know you have got legal tender. The contact in India might even have fake notes !

rao166

Post by rao166 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:58 am

You may use western union to transfer money