ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Driving licence instead of passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

David Gribble
Newly Registered

Driving licence instead of passport

Post by David Gribble » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:07 am

Is it possible for a UK citizen to use a driving licence instead of a passport to return from Europe by Eurostar (after having gone out without any trouble without the passport)?

newperson

Post by newperson » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:34 am

Looks as if you'd be in for a hassle. And here.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:02 pm

The first link provided by "newperson" indicates how the situation may be dealt with, but it won't be resolved in 5 minutes, so present yourself long before you're due to travel. If it's Eurostar, and there is a UK Immigration Control before boarding, the carrier may allow you talk to them and try and resolve it. But there's no obligation on the carrier to oblige you, and they're quite within their rights to tell you to buzz off and get an emergency passport from the British Consulate. The law says you have to have a passport or other identity document confirming i/d and nationality, and a driving licence does not confirm nationality. You've no right to travel on it, so if they allow you to, it's a concession.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:35 pm

So at the end of the day, when all is said and done, it's probably best to carry your passport. Unless ofcourse, you're a glutton for punishment! :wink:

David Gribble
Newly Registered

Post by David Gribble » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:22 pm

Thanks very much. The problem has been expensively solved by waiting for the passport to be delivered by courier, and returning by plane. I say "has been solved." I should say "is being solved, I hope."

llNicell

Post by llNicell » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:26 pm

David Gribble wrote:Thanks very much. The problem has been expensively solved by waiting for the passport to be delivered by courier, and returning by plane. I say "has been solved." I should say "is being solved, I hope."
btw. it is an offence to send passport across country by post....glad to hear you have sorted your problem by any means.... :roll:

John

Post by John » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:16 pm

Is it possible for a UK citizen to use a driving licence instead of a passport to return from Europe
OK, your problem looks to have been solved, but isn't the problem that a driving licence proves nothing, except a right to drive. It certainly does not prove any particular nationality.

Otherwise, and for me this is going back a few years, after my wife had got her full UK driving licence, we would have stopped bothering getting Schengen visas put into her Thai passport! She would have just travelled on her UK full driving licence! I think not!

(Thankfully she has been British for quite a few years now.)
John

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:30 pm

You can use it to travel to the Irish republic provided place of birth on it says UK and you were born before 1983. That is where it ends.

If UK had joined Schengen, then it will not have been a factor at all.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

John

Post by John » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:19 am

You can use it to travel to the Irish republic provided place of birth on it says UK and you were born before 1983. That is where it ends.
But in my experience UK driving licences do not give the country of birth. They merely state the town or city of birth. So if someone was born in Birmingham, that is all it would say, with no indication whether that is Birmingham, England or Birmingham, Alabama, etc..

My wife's UK driving licence merely states the town in Thailand where she was born, but with no indication at all where in the world that is. And no, she was not born in Bangkok, or some other big place, which might have been a giveaway.
John

sac

Post by sac » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:29 am

my licence (issued April '08 ) says India (the country where i was born) - no mention at all of the city/town of birth...

John wrote:
But in my experience UK driving licences do not give the country of birth. They merely state the town or city of birth. So if someone was born in Birmingham, that is all it would say, with no indication whether that is Birmingham, England or Birmingham, Alabama, etc..

My wife's UK driving licence merely states the town in Thailand where she was born, but with no indication at all where in the world that is. And no, she was not born in Bangkok, or some other big place, which might have been a giveaway.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:09 am

sac wrote:my licence (issued April '08 ) says India (the country where i was born) - no mention at all of the city/town of birth...

John wrote:

Mine has my date of birth and "United Kingdom", not "London". And my photo is now in black and white!