ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

American born citizen - parent immigration help?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ali.I
Newly Registered

American born citizen - parent immigration help?

Post by Ali.I » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:14 am

Hello, my father had overstayed in Pakistan on his green card, while returning to US he was told he would lose his green card because he overstayed. He fought the case for several years until he ultimately lost – giving him a ten year voluntary leave out of USA. I left with him to Pakistan on Jan 2005 as I was too young at the time (Almost 14) to live alone, and did not want to live with relatives – preferring my family.
It has been 4.5 years since that day, and my dad is still struggling to form a stable income that can support his home and my future college bills. He is a hardworking man, who paid taxes in the US and was involved in the local Pakistani community.
The past four years have been very tough for us – I haven’t visited USA, and miss it a lot – as do my parents and little brother. On top of that the security concerns in Pakistan are off the roof and the downturn of the economy makes it hard to survive here. My question is, can I somehow write a letter to the American Embassy here requesting them to pardon my father’s 10 year bar? My baby brother and I are US born citizens and have been raised there. I plan on going back to the states for my college, but I find myself to emotionally dependant on my parents, yet I hate the life here, as I am racially Pakistani, but culturally American - every factor combined leads to my depression . Is it possible for my dad to be excused by the US government? If so, what steps can I take to do so? Thanks a billion, I really need advice.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Re: American born citizen - parent immigration help?

Post by Marco 72 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:28 pm

Ali.I wrote:Hello, my father had overstayed in Pakistan on his green card, while returning to US he was told he would lose his green card because he overstayed. He fought the case for several years until he ultimately lost – giving him a ten year voluntary leave out of USA. I left with him to Pakistan on Jan 2005 as I was too young at the time (Almost 14) to live alone, and did not want to live with relatives – preferring my family.
I'm sorry but what you are writing doesn't make sense to me - are you saying that your father lost his green card because he spent too much time in Pakistan? Where does the 10 year ban come from?

Ali.I
Newly Registered

Post by Ali.I » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:09 am

Sorry for the late reply. There were many complications in the case. My father was given permission to work in the US after overstaying in Pakistan. However, he lost his initial case and decided to appeal the decision. What the lawyer failed to tell him was, that, since he lost the first case - he would need to leave the US and then appeal. Everyday he stayed in the US after losing the initial ruling was deemed an illegal stay. He was still allowed to work there and paid taxes like any other citizen.

Help appreciated!

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:41 am

Ali.I wrote:Sorry for the late reply. There were many complications in the case. My father was given permission to work in the US after overstaying in Pakistan. However, he lost his initial case and decided to appeal the decision. What the lawyer failed to tell him was, that, since he lost the first case - he would need to leave the US and then appeal. Everyday he stayed in the US after losing the initial ruling was deemed an illegal stay. He was still allowed to work there and paid taxes like any other citizen.

Help appreciated!
Sigh... what do you mean by "overstaying in Pakistan"? Do you mean he is not a Pakistani citizen and stayed in that country illegally? Or do you mean that he abandoned his green card because he spent too much time out of the US?

I also suggest you post in the following forum, where you will find more people who are familiar with US immigration

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Ali.I
Newly Registered

Post by Ali.I » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:13 pm

" Or do you mean that he abandoned his green card because he spent too much time out of the US? "

^ Bingo

Thanks for the link!