ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Baby born outside UK to British Father and mother with ILR

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

notyet
Newly Registered

Baby born outside UK to British Father and mother with ILR

Post by notyet » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:40 pm

Hi,
I have ILR and my husband is british. I wish to have my baby born in India but to be registered as British citizen.

1. Can I register his birth upon return to UK? i.e does he need a passport to travel to the UK, given that he is born as a british citizen by descent to a british father?

2. If the answer to question 1 is no, how can I get him a british passport while in India? Any idea how long it takes and more details about how and where to apply?

Many thanks!

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:43 am

How did husband get British citizenship?

notyet
Newly Registered

Post by notyet » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:38 am

husband became british citizen by naturalisation

John

Post by John » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:38 am

husband became british citizen by naturalisation
That being the case, your husband is British otherwise than by descent, and accordingly his children will be British, wherever in the world they are born.

So register the birth in India in the normal way, then apply to the BHC in India for a British passport for your child.

As regards travel to the UK, obviously your child needs a passport, and as your child will not be Indian, clearly it is a British passport that must be obtained.
John

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:45 am

But bear in mind your child will be British by descent, that is, if it has children born outside the UK they will not automatically be British.
Aiming at travelling to the UK with my wife and not with an EEA FP!

notyet
Newly Registered

Post by notyet » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:59 am

Thanks both for your quick replies!

does my husband need to be physically present in india for us to apply for a passport for the child? I am trying to contact a BHC office, but no answer on the phone.