ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Opening bank account without address proof

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

niravora
Newly Registered

Opening bank account without address proof

Post by niravora » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:50 pm

Hi,
I have recently arrived to UK on Tier 1 visa. I am still looking for a job. In the meanwhile i want to open a bank account so that i dont have to carry cash every time i go for shopping as well as can use it for online shopping.

But major hurdle that i am facing is : every bank (HSBC, Barclays, Abbey, Natwest, Halifax) is asking for address proof. I am staying with one of my friend in shared rental accomodation, so i dont have any utility bills, driver license for that matter no document with UK address.

Could you kindly advise on options to overcome this and open an account ?

Thanks & Regards,
niravora

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:59 am

My wife's solution was to apply for a provisional driving license even though she didn't intend to drive at that point and use that as her proof of address.

niravora
Newly Registered

Post by niravora » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:03 pm

Thanks for reply djb123.
But it costs about 50 Pounds which will be in waste .. Since i dont have any plans to drive in future .

Is there any other effective way to get it faster ?

sachin_4646

Post by sachin_4646 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:09 pm

Get a letter from employer detailing your address. Considering you don't have a job yet, it may take a bit longer.

gotcha
Member of Standing

Re: Opening bank account without address proof

Post by gotcha » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:41 pm

niravora wrote:Hi,
I have recently arrived to UK on Tier 1 visa. I am still looking for a job. In the meanwhile i want to open a bank account so that i dont have to carry cash every time i go for shopping as well as can use it for online shopping.

But major hurdle that i am facing is : every bank (HSBC, Barclays, Abbey, Natwest, Halifax) is asking for address proof. I am staying with one of my friend in shared rental accomodation, so i dont have any utility bills, driver license for that matter no document with UK address.

Could you kindly advise on options to overcome this and open an account ?

Thanks & Regards,
niravora
Try different banks, branches. HSBC has a Passport account, it will cost you @ £5 , enquire with them.

sharbt_hvr

Post by sharbt_hvr » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi,
It happened with me also.
But try Barclays wherein you need to produce NI letter which you can get from calling the NI office number, that will serve as proof of residence.
Also if you have Indian driving license (ID card not book one) you can get
the bank account open.

rgds,
sharbt_hvr

niravora
Newly Registered

Post by niravora » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:43 am

Thanks for the reply sharbt_hvr !

I have Indian Driving license, but address on it is not my current address. I was not sure if bank would send something (PIN, debit card) to that address. So i did not use that for address proof.

I have called NI office to apply for the National Insurance number. They said that they will send me the application form by post at my current address. Will this letter with application form be sufficient to be shown as address proof ?

I did enquire with Barclay's and they do accept NI letter. But i am not sure if they need letter which is sent along with the NI number (this would take couple of weeks to actually receive NI ) or they might send some letter along with application form which might be sufficient proof ?

Thanks & Regards,
niravora

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:46 am

Another work around I found out when trying to get an address proof for my wife

Your friend who is renting the appartment will hopefully still be paying utility bills like electricity, gas and even Council tax.
He can call any of these companies and just add your name onto the bill as they dont ask for any proof.
Once your name is added, and you receive the next bill with your name on it, you can open an account easily

Hassle free and quite quick - If it is urgent, you can tell your friend to request the utility company or council to resend the bill with your name on it.

Cheers
KP

niravora
Newly Registered

Post by niravora » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:17 am

Thanks for the information kenfrapin.

My friend and I are living in shared accomodation where owner is also staying in the same house. So we dont have any bills with our names on it :cry:

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:44 am

Oh bugger!!!

Talking about NI, well the NI lapplication form will do you no good at all! Anyone can ask for an application form at any address.

Apply for the NI, wait for it to be provided and once you get that letter, you can use that with Barclays

One more option is there, but I am not very sure of this. If your friend is really your close friend then you can become his joint account holder :-)
It's a trust issue here and every bank has different rules for joint account holders. If I were you, I would try this option :-)

Cheers
KP

niravora
Newly Registered

Post by niravora » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:47 am

Thanks kenfrapin.

I think i will have to wait for the NI number !

Any idea how much time it takes to receive NI number from from the day of application? Is there a way to speed this process ? By submitting and verifying documents in personal by visiting them to some office ?

Thanks & Regards,
niravora

rinav

Post by rinav » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:06 am

as far as i know the halifax can accept a letter from the following confirming your address -

register with a doctor an then get them to write a letter confirming where you love.

religious minister can also write a letter confirming your address as well.

the halifax really use these as a last resort...go to a couple of branches until you find someone who is willing to do open the account as some of the advisors are just lazy

suresh-hsmp

Post by suresh-hsmp » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:40 am

The best solution is apply halifax easycash account by online. You dont need address proof, all you need is a copy of your passport. You get visa electron card which you can use for shoping and at cash machines to withdraw cash.
You can't apply this at bank branch, its only avilable online meaning that they will send application pack to your address and you need to reply with your fiiled application and a copy of your passport. The thing online only means that they are verifying your address by sending application to your address.
I did it for my wife and we got it in 7 working days, so I am sure it does work for you also.
go to halifax website and find easy cash account and apply

niravora
Newly Registered

Post by niravora » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:21 am

Thanks a lot for reply suresh & rinav!

Suresh,
My purpose of opening of new account are following:
- Not to carry cash with me everytime i go for shopping
- Online shopping
- ATM facility
- Dependent visa - Use it to show for balance when i apply for my wife's visa after 2 months.

Easy cash account does not have full branch service. Do you think this might create problem in getting bank statements for visa purpose later ?

In case this account has some restrictions, Can i use this account as address proof to change or create new account with other bank later ?

What do you suggest?

Thanks & Regards,
niravora

suresh-hsmp

Post by suresh-hsmp » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:24 pm

My purpose of opening of new account are following:
- Not to carry cash with me everytime i go for shopping -- Yes you can do with visa electron card: most of the retailers accept this:
- Online shopping -- Yes agian most of retialers accept
- ATM facility--- major hight street banks allow fee free withdrawl
- Dependent visa - Use it to show for balance when i apply for my wife's visa after 2 months. -- The only problem here is that they give statements quarterly: you get them for every 3 months.

Easy cash account does not have full branch service. Do you think this might create problem in getting bank statements for visa purpose later ?
that means you might not get overdraft, cheque book etc facilities, but you can get statement after 3 months to your address by post:i dont know about branch facilities for statements.

In case this account has some restrictions, Can i use this account as address proof to change or create new account with other bank later ?

You can use it, but i think you ned to wait until you get your first statement, other banks only accept only statements as address proof not letters of communication from banks

What do you suggest?

well, you would be better of with some bank account than nothing, overall easycash does all your requirements except statements which you need to wait for extra month to apply your wife's visa. In the meantime if you can find someway to open full pledeged account somewhere else you can switch your bank account. The quarterly stement from halifax is like any other bank statement for visa purposes.

niravora
Newly Registered

Post by niravora » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:41 pm

Thanks a lot Suresh !
Today i have applied for Halifax EasyCash a/c.

With Regards,
niravora

mjmani

I went in straight to Barclays bank (East Ham branch)

Post by mjmani » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:10 pm

When I came in last year start, I went to Barclays bank in East Ham. I told them i just came in to the country, so have no address proof in UK, but have to keep my money safe. They asked for 2 form of ID. I produced my passport and indian driving license. I was able to open the account.
Best regards,
Mani

gooner2011
Newly Registered

Post by gooner2011 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:54 pm

hi.. im looking into my wife opening a bank account.. she will be here on a settlement visa and i was looking at the halifax easy cash a/c but it says you have to be a uk resident and i assume this to mean uk passport holder..
does anyone have any uptodate info..
many thanks

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:52 pm

gooner2011 wrote:hi.. im looking into my wife opening a bank account.. she will be here on a settlement visa and i was looking at the halifax easy cash a/c but it says you have to be a uk resident and i assume this to mean uk passport holder..
does anyone have any uptodate info..
many thanks
UK resident means you are residing (or living) in the UK. Usually that means you will have to show some sort of address proof that you live in the UK (utility bill, council tax receipt, property documents) along with a photo ID - usually a passport or nationality ID.

gooner2011
Newly Registered

Post by gooner2011 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:44 am

ok thanks.. that makes more sense

light_tunnel

Post by light_tunnel » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:13 pm

To open a Santander basic account you don't need any kind of address proof. Just a Passport will do. To open an account in Barclays you can use the correspondence letter received from the NI department along with your PP to open an account. In both the cases it will be a limited account for 6 months and after that it will be a full fledged account(which means you cannot do International transactions with a basic account)