ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

unmarried partner visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Collon
Newly Registered

unmarried partner visa

Post by Collon » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:15 pm

hello.

I have been reading this useful website for a couple of months, and this is my first post. I hope someone can answer my worries.
To make my story short, this is my circumstances.

I am going to apply for an unmarried partner visa.
My boyfriend is British Overseas but has got ILR on his passport.
He has a full time job and we are currently renting a flat by ourselves. He is not claiming any benefit. We have got bills such as council tax, water, telephone, joint bank accounts and tenancy agreement.

My current status is a student visa which expires at the end of March. However my partner and I will be living together for 2 years on the 6th of April, which means we are 6 days short of the 2 years requirement for the unmarried partner visa. Do you think the home office would take exception of this or would I need to apply for another visa to extend my stay?`

I have already extended my student visa for five times with a year-long course (such as English Course and computing course) and it seems to me that nothing other than taking a degree course at universities would grant me a further stay in this country. My other option would be a tourist visa (through Home Office), but with tourist visa, I am not sure if I can switch my status into an unmarried partner visa in this country.
(I am from Japan.)

I hope some people can answer my questions. Thank you very much in advance.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:41 pm

Konichiwa :) ,

IMHO you will be ok to apply for the UP visa if you apply by post. Do this in the last week of March but no later than Thursday 30th. Postal applications initially go to the payment processing unit in Walsall, West Midlands before forwarding on to the IND caseworkers about 1 week later. Paying by cheque also buys some more time given that this must clear so it may be two weeks before the application is received by the caseworker safely taking you past the 2 yr mark. Of course this means there is no margin of error when preparing the application so make sure its watertight and you have included all substantive evidence plus the relevant fee. It would add significant credibility to your application were you to submit documentation from government departments such as driving licence (DVLA), Medical Cards (NHS) and Income Tax Coding, P60's, P45's (HMRC).

Good luck.

Collon
Newly Registered

Post by Collon » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:36 pm

Kayalami,
Thank you very much for your quick reply.
I never knew the process before, now I understand why we submit the documents to Walsall first.
I will make sure to send as many documents as possible including what you suggested to me near the end of march.

Thank you again, and I hope that I can give you good news a few months later.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:45 pm

Make sure you send your documents by special delivery (blue postal slip) NOT recorded delivery (orange/red postal slip). The former is guaranteed to arrive by noon on the next working day and is insured for loss.

Collon
Newly Registered

Post by Collon » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:40 pm

Thank you, Kayalami. I will make sure to send my documents by special delivery! :)