ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Opening a Bank Account in UK

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dilip_gem

Opening a Bank Account in UK

Post by dilip_gem » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:57 pm

hi all,
just wanted to share a very good information on opening a bank a/c here in UK. Well I came here 3 months back and have been staying in sharing accommodation (so I do not have any utility bills etc). and during initial one month I was jobless. Though I have visited UK couple of times before, I was turned down by many banks for opening the bank a/c.
On my way to UK, I met a businessman in flight who suggested me to try opening an 'Offshore account -at Isle of Man' and he said I can use this account like a regular account in UK. I tried to contact many banks to open this account and response was negative.
I even approached HSBC to activate my old account. I had a basic bank a/c with HSBC during my short stay in 2004 - which got closed due to no transactions for 5 years. Even for reactivating that I was asked to produce utility bills or some form of address proof.
Finally I approached Barclays and the personal banker showed some interest in opening an a/c for me. I told my situation and enquired whether he would be able to open atleast an 'offshore a/c'?
He said that he can open me a regular current & savings a/c if i show he as many address proof documents (for my Indian address).
I showed him few of my India bank account details,Indian credit card statements,my passport etc. and he opened an Current Plus account for me (which also gave me a savings a/c) :D
So it all depends on the 'Personal Banker'. Its in their hand to open the account. If at all you are turned down by some bank, do not loose hopes
try and approach another bank or the same bank (different branch).

Also if you are coming from India, try to get bank statements,credit card statements etc of Indian bank account. (would be nice if u can bring a/c details of UK Banks like HSBC,Barclays who have presence in India).

Regards,
Gem