ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

how to get ILR and UK permanent residency status

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

skchatterjee
Newly Registered

how to get ILR and UK permanent residency status

Post by skchatterjee » Fri May 21, 2004 10:44 am

I am a chinese student who is on a student visa valid till sept 2004. I have completed my BSc from University of Sussex, and my MSc from University of Hull in 2002 & 2003 respectively. I am doing a course on MCSE 2000 currently at my institute, and at the same time work part time as a IT skills trainer.

My employer has applied for a work permit as they feel I am the most suitable person to train other IT personnel in the IT field, as well as the development of software in chinese as the organisation is involved in outsourcing to China, for which they feel my chinese background would be most suitable.

I have the following question:

1. What have I got to do after I getthe work permit from my employer?

2. How can I then get ILR after my work permit is granted?

3. How many years of work permit do I need to get an ILR?

4. Can I then apply for a British passport after my ILR?

5. How many years of full time study in UK qualifies a student to get ILR?

Can you please advise on the above issues as I am quite confused due to the various types of information available.

RUI

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Fri May 21, 2004 11:20 am

1. To get the work permit your employer will have to prove you are the best candidate out of the home/EU pool. This is usually done by showing adverts in newspapers/websites etc and the reason for why they rejected other candidates. This might be easy if there aren't many Chinese speaking people in your field of work. After the work permit is approved, you apply for a temporary visa (FLR). Depending on length of your work permit this will be for a max of 5 years.

2. ILR - you need to work for 4 years continously and at the end of 4 years still be required by your employer.

3. (look at 2)

4. After 1 year on ILR you can get a passport (i.e. 5 years from getting the work permit). There are restrictions on how much time you spend out of the country in the 5 years.

5. If you wan't to get it after working on a work permit, then none of the student years count. To get ILR from studies only, you would need to be studying (or staying legally) in the UK for 10 years or more.