ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa Information

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lonbabs
Newly Registered

Spouse Visa Information

Post by lonbabs » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:02 pm

Hi

Apologise if this question has already been answered before. If so, please direct me to it.

I am an Indian national, been working in the UK for the past 4 years 6 months. I got my ILR in August 04. I went to India in March 05 and got engaged to be married. I am getting married in Aug 05 and wish to bring my wife alongwith me when I come back. Please provide me the details of documents / evidence required by the visa consulate in India to process a Spouse Settlement Visa.

Thanks

John

Post by John » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:25 pm

Go to :-

Application Forms and Guidance Notes

Certainly download a form VAF2 and also the INF4 guidance notes.

As a holder of an ILR visa you are "settled" in the UK and accordingly it is clearly the case that one of the conditions has been met.

Given that you got your ILR in August 2004, when you get back to the UK after your marriage, do you intend to apply for naturalisation as British?
John

lonbabs
Newly Registered

Post by lonbabs » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:39 pm

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply and the links.

I do wish to apply for my naturalisation when I come back in September after my marriage. Will it change the visa process ?

John

Post by John » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:50 pm

Will it change the visa process ?
No, why should it?

In any case, hopefully your wife (as she will be) will be in the UK by then. Which BHC/embassy/consulate do you intend to use? What is the waiting time for settlement visa interviews at that place? Click here for an idea of the delay.

You might also like to contact that BHC/embassy/consulate and ask whether they will accept an application for a spouse visa before the marriage has happened. If so the VAF2 application form needs to be submitted with a covering letter making clear that the marriage has not yet happened but will occur on or about (date) and could they kindly allocate a settlement visa interview on or after (a slightly later date).

By pre-planning in this way you may be able to achieve a visa interview shortly after the marriage and then if the application is granted your wife will be able to come to the UK without delay.

My wife and I married in Thailand and certainly the British Embassy in Bangkok will accept an application for a spouse visa before the marriage has been registered. That is, back in 2001, my wife (as she would become) submitted application for spouse visa in mid January, the marriage was registered late February and the visa interview happened mid March. Visa granted, just two weeks after the marriage at a time when the waiting time for a settlement visa interview was about eight weeks.

Pre-plan = cut out the delay!
John

lonbabs
Newly Registered

Post by lonbabs » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:56 pm

Thanks John

Will enquire about applying before the wedding. I will be applying from the Chennai embassy (and according to the link you sent me, it would take 1 week for a settlement visa).

Once I get some idea of the processing times and exceptions, I will share the information here so that it could help others.

Cheers

yboss
Newly Registered

Post by yboss » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:44 pm

Hello lonbabs,

I was just wondering was there any developments in applying early for a spouse visa as John mentioned ? I am also getiing married in Aug and was thinking if I can do the same.
In my understanding getting there is no process delay in Chennai, but you can not apply directly there. You have to go through VFS centres and they probably give you an answer after 2 weeks and in case of an interview appointment in another 2 weeks.

regards

sreeni

Post by sreeni » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:36 pm

yes you have to apply through the VFS centres, the one in chennai is just around the corner from the embassy. Although technically you can go into the embassy the guard will not let you unless you have an appointment/ interview due to security reasons.

desperado

Post by desperado » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:53 am

I'm a british citizen and engaged to be married by early Jun 06. I will also be applying from chennai embassy. I have few questions.

What are VFS centers?

After my marriage do my wife need to change her surname in the passport before applying for spouse visa?

Does anyone know if Chennai embassy accept application form before marriage like John's recommendation?

Is it ok to apply for spouse visa immediately after my marriage. ie. wedding on 1st and applying spouse visa by 2nd?

I will be going to chennai, india for just 3 weeks...within 3 days of my arrival in chennai I will be married. So will 2-2.5 weeks be enough to get spouse visa?

Do I have to be there with my spouse to apply for spouse visa?

John, your contribution in these forums are greatly appreciated mate. I have received so much valuable information from you...since my work permit days till my british citizenship. Thank you so much for your valuable contribution.

lonbabs, yboss...could share your experience in applying spouse visa via chennai embassy please?

John

Post by John » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:08 am

desperado, I suspect that you can get answers to many of your questions by visiting the website of the BHC Chennai. For example clicking on "How do I make my application?" will explain about VFS.
After my marriage do my wife need to change her surname in the passport before applying for spouse visa?
There is certainly no compulsion under UK for a woman to change her surname on getting married. It is simply a convention that most choose to follow. But what about Indian law?
Is it ok to apply for spouse visa immediately after my marriage. ie. wedding on 1st and applying spouse visa by 2nd?
No problem .... but what a way to spend the honeymoon. 8)
John

desperado

Post by desperado » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:30 am

desperado, I suspect that you can get answers to many of your questions by visiting the website of the BHC Chennai. For example clicking on "How do I make my application?" will explain about VFS.
Thanks for the link john.
There is certainly no compulsion under UK for a woman to change her surname on getting married. It is simply a convention that most choose to follow. But what about Indian law?
I can't think of anything in Indian law either.
No problem .... but what a way to spend the honeymoon. 8)
I know...but I've only two weeks to sort out these issues...so will apply for spouse visa as soon as possible and then travelling to the caribbean islands for the honeymoon :)

desperado

Post by desperado » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:20 pm

hello all,

I was going through the website forum archives regarding spouse visa application and I came across some forum regarding medical examination for spouse on her first visit to UK.

What's all that about? I will be applying for spouse visa at chennai embassy. Isn't there medical examination at british embassy approved hospital in chennai while applying for spouse visa???

please let me know.

Sreeni,

I read few of your post and you mentioned your wife's spouse visa application was rejected at first attempt and you had to appeal again. Could you let us know your experience please?

John

Post by John » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:58 pm

desperado, having just checked the BHC Chennai website it seems that there is no medical requirement there. I say that in that way because a number of centres are introducing compulsory TB tests to those applying for visas exceeding six months in length. For example in Bangkok a TB certificate needs to be supplied with the visa application and if it is missing then the application will definitely fail!

But Chennai has no such requirement. So when your wife (as she will be) lands in the UK there is a possibility she will be referred to the medical centre at the airport for a quick examination and a chest xray. However if she has had a chest xray no more than say a month or two before that, and takes that certificate with her, the doctor will look at that and probably cut out the need for a new xray.

desperado, this really is nothing to worry about. Look upon it as a free health check .... which is exactly what it is!
John

hmm

Post by hmm » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:00 am

Friend of mine got spouse visa issued in Chennai British embassy just two days after submitting the forms.
You submit your application form in VFS office together with all the supported documents. the staffs will check your application form and support documets. They'd only check whether the application is completed fully and have all the necessary documents, if everythings fine they'd send them to BH in chennai. if you have something missing or form is not completey filled then they'd advise you to re do them. they are not High Commision staffs and have nothing to do with he decision on your application. if BH wants to interview you then BH will contact you directly. all the intrviews normally held in BH. if there is no interview BH will send your visa to VFS where you can pick up.

desperado

Post by desperado » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:13 pm

hmm,

thanks for the info. How about medical examination? does it happen in chennai itself or at heathrow airport? for some the medical happened in chennai itself but for most of them its at heathrow airport.

john,

do you know when does entry clearance is 100% compulsory? anyone who wants to travel for more then 6 months need entry clearance before they travel...right?

So will the BH in chennai will be responsible for issuing the entry clearance? When a spouse visa is issued...will the entry clearance also be issued at the same time? or one should get spouse visa first...then apply for entry clearance?

any ideas?

John

Post by John » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:57 pm

do you know when does entry clearance is 100% compulsory?
The Nationalities of world are basically divided into Visa Nationals, Non-Visa Nationals and EEA/Swiss Citizens. The difference is that Visa Nationals always require a visa to enter the UK ... whereas with Non-Visa Nationals it is not so clear-cut. A Non-Visa National does not require a visa to enter the UK as a visitor for six months or less. Nevertheless on arrival in the UK there are quite a few instances of such people being declined admission into the UK, quite often because the immigration officer does not believe their stated intentions.
anyone who wants to travel for more then 6 months need entry clearance before they travel...right?
Absolutely, that is now the case, even for Non-Visa Nationals ... except ... that does not apply to EEA/Swiss Citizens who possess treaty rights.

Definitions of Visa Nationals and Non-Visa Nationals available by clicking here. (But don't necessarily expect it to load quickly!)
John

hmm

Post by hmm » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:26 am

For my friend,....there was no medical done in india. when he arrive at heathrow after immigration they send him to another room where he was only asked questions about his medical condition, no x-ray nothing. I think that's where you register with NHS.

I heard for some people BH asked to submit medical in their interview, not sure whether it is true!!!

John

Post by John » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:42 am

The only countries in the world currently needing any medical examination are mentioned in this topic concerning the need for TB certificates in Thailand, Tanzania and Sudan.

Apart from those places ... no medical examinations required ... except possibly on arrival in the UK.
John