ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation on Behalf of a Minor Based on Irish Descent

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Eire2B
Newly Registered

Naturalisation on Behalf of a Minor Based on Irish Descent

Post by Eire2B » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:17 pm

I officially became an Irish citizen last August via the FBR. I am planning to seek employment in Ireland in the future and will bring my American husband and son with me.

I would have been able to pass on Irish citizenship to my child except he was born before I myself was entered into the Birth Register. The reason for this is my Irish grandfather died when I was very young and I had always falsely assumed he was born here in the U.S. It wasn’t until two years ago that I found out my grandfather was actually born and raised in County Clare!

Since my son missed out on the FBR, I was looking into the Certificate of Naturalisation on Behalf of a Minor Based on Irish Descent or Irish Associations as a possible way for him to obtain Irish citizenship. (www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/FM07000167)

Does anyone have experience with this? For example, how soon after I move to Eire would I be allowed to apply for naturalisation for my son? Approximately how long might the process take before I would find out if his application is accepted?

jhbmike

Re: Naturalisation on Behalf of a Minor Based on Irish Desce

Post by jhbmike » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:01 am

Eire2B wrote:I officially became an Irish citizen last August via the FBR. I am planning to seek employment in Ireland in the future and will bring my American husband and son with me.

I would have been able to pass on Irish citizenship to my child except he was born before I myself was entered into the Birth Register. The reason for this is my Irish grandfather died when I was very young and I had always falsely assumed he was born here in the U.S. It wasn’t until two years ago that I found out my grandfather was actually born and raised in County Clare!

Since my son missed out on the FBR, I was looking into the Certificate of Naturalisation on Behalf of a Minor Based on Irish Descent or Irish Associations as a possible way for him to obtain Irish citizenship. (www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/FM07000167)

Does anyone have experience with this? For example, how soon after I move to Eire would I be allowed to apply for naturalisation for my son? Approximately how long might the process take before I would find out if his application is accepted?
I see youre location is Chicago. I lives there for a couple of years. Great place and I still have loads of friends there.
I was in the same position as youre son except I wasnt a minor. I applied after being in the country one year and my application was accepted and approved.
The minister has the right to waive one or more of the conditions if the application is based on descent or associations.
Friends of mine whos children where minors and applied the same way, applied after being in the country 3 months and they were approved.
Put the application in after a couple months of being here and see what happens. You will hear back very quickly if the application has been accepted - less than 1 month. Hard to say how long it will take for a decision. Could be anything from 3 months to 5 years. Mine took 2 and a half years. However seeing as youre child is a minor and he/she is under 16 years of age, there are no outside agency checks so the process should be pretty straight forward and shouldnt take long.
Good luck!

Eire2B
Newly Registered

Post by Eire2B » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:02 pm

Thank you very much for the information. I really appreciate it.

Obtaining Irish citizenship was very important to me. I grew up in an Irish-American community on the South Side of Chicago. My family is extremely proud of their Irish heritage and my grandmother actually began to cry when I showed her my Certificate of Entry.

Thanks again.