ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport for Spouse and Spouses daughter

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

wshuttes
Newly Registered

British Passport for Spouse and Spouses daughter

Post by wshuttes » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:25 pm

Hi,

I am going through the process of applying for British passport for my wife who I believe is eligible but I am not sure if her daughter is.

Here is the scenario:
I am a British citizen with British passport and my wife and her daughter are Indonesian. Both are on indefinite leave to stay/ settlement visas.

My wife has had hers for over 3 years and been living in the UK with me for the same period.

Her daughter has only had hers for 6 months and been living here the same period.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

John

Post by John » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:37 pm

I am going through the process of applying for British passport for my wife who I believe is eligible but I am not sure if her daughter is.
Actually you are not going through the process of getting your wife a British passport! You are actually trying to get her naturalised as British. Armed with a Naturalisation Certificate it is a simple form-filling exercise to get the British passport.

Rewording your question ..... Can my step-daughter be Registered as British at the same time as my wife is Naturalised?

The answer? Maybe? Maybe not! The relevant fact to ascertain is ... how old is your step-daughter?

And as regards your wife applying for naturalisation, can I ask, does she already have a pass certificate in respect of the Citizenship Test, or alternatively have a completion certificate from a combined ESOL/Citizenship course? If the answer is no, then she cannot apply for naturalisation until she does.
John

wshuttes
Newly Registered

Post by wshuttes » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:53 pm

thanks for the correction. I was aware of that but I didn't know about the Citz Test.
I have just looked in to it and will follow that up.

My daughter (step) is 11.

John

Post by John » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:58 pm

OK, she is 11 ... that is, under 13 years of age .... so yes .... when your wife applies for Naturalisation using form AN(NEW) she should indeed enter your step-daughter's details on to the relevant part of that form.

So when your wife is naturalised your step-daughter will be registered as British.

But your wife must not apply yet! She has a test to do or a course to complete!
John

wshuttes
Newly Registered

Post by wshuttes » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:07 pm

Ok great.

Thanks for your wisdom John.

JAJ
Australia

Re: British Passport for Spouse and Spouses daughter

Post by JAJ » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:19 am

wshuttes wrote:Hi,

Here is the scenario:
I am a British citizen with British passport and my wife and her daughter are Indonesian. Both are on indefinite leave to stay/ settlement visas.

My wife has had hers for over 3 years and been living in the UK with me for the same period.

Her daughter has only had hers for 6 months and been living here the same period.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

As someone else has said, as your step-daughter is 11, she can be registered as British at the same time as your wife is naturalised.

- there is an additional fee to include one or more children, check the HO website but it's around GBP200
- information on the test is at http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk
Only your wife needs to do the test, not your daughter
- Indonesia is pretty strict about dual citizenship, so once they become British they will almost certainly cease to be Indonesian. This may not be a problem for them, however.

wshuttes
Newly Registered

Post by wshuttes » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:31 am

thanks for the extra info.

I have heard that the if you dont tell the indonesian embassy/govt. then they wont find out.

do you know how they would find out once application is completed?

John

Post by John » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:52 am

do you know how they would find out once application is completed?
There are a number of ways there might become suspicious. For example when re-entering Indonesia, obviously using Indonesian passport, the lack of UK stamps in that passport might suggest that the person has a British passport.

These suspicions might not surface immediately but after five or ten years might be rather obvious.

Also renewing Indonesian passport at their embassy in the UK might cause a question or two to be raised.

I am just thankful. My wife and step-daughter are from Thailand, which fully permits dual nationality to be held. They both now have Thai and British passports .... no problem to either country.
John

wshuttes
Newly Registered

Post by wshuttes » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:09 am

my wifes and daughters UK visa are in an expired/old passport which is stapled to new one. Will the UK request that passport and cancel the visa when my wife is issued with British naturalisation and passport.

The idea would be to travel with the british passport always except when she goes to indonesia.

There might also be further issues next as we plan on moving to South Africa . so travelling from there to indo on Indo passport without stamps will, Im sure, cause problems.

John

Post by John » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:53 am

When the applications are made for naturalisation/registration it is highly recommended that you use NCS. That way all the passports need to be presented, and then photocopied by the NCS office and then handed straight back. There is no question of any visa being cancelled.

Applications made using NCS are dealt with a lot quicker that applications submitted by post ... well that is the general impression from posts on this Board.

After the applications are approved, the Citizenship Ceremony attended, and applications are being made for British passports, the existing Indonesian passports will need to be supplied. But they will be returned "as is" ... so again no visas cancelled in those passports.
John