ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

student visa to spouse visa plzz help

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

murphyuk
BANNED

student visa to spouse visa plzz help

Post by murphyuk » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:35 pm

:roll: :?: hi at present i am on student visa for 7 yrs..i just ask a question..if i got married to british pasport holder, whats the procedure, should she be in full time employment...as i am working part time...she has got a kid of 21/2 yrs and she is working part time....what will be the procedure... and what are the thing i should do to make the process work smoothly....thanxxx........ :?: :x

John

Post by John » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:44 pm

Hi, the first thing to ask about is your current student visa. When does that expire? That is, how long left on it?

The point is that you will need to apply for a Certificate of Approval to Marry ("CoA") and unless you have at least three months left on that student visa they will not agree to the CoA.

Only with a CoA can you, a non-EEA Citizen (not having ILR, a fiancé visa or a wedding visitor's visa), go to the Register Office with your fiancée to give the needed Notice of Intention to Marry.

After the marriage has happened you would apply for a spouse visa in the UK. In order to get that visa you would need to show that you will not need to claim certain Public Funds ... but that same condition has applied every time you have applied for an extension to your student visa in the UK.
John

murphyuk
BANNED

Post by murphyuk » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:56 pm

hi, my student visa expires on march 2007..is she should be in full time employment...thanxx

John

Post by John » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:08 am

Hi, you should apply for a CoA ... using this form to make your application.

Does your wife (as she will be) need to be employed full-time? That is not a specific requirement. It merely needs to be clear that you will not need to claim certain Public Funds. If that can be done without your wife working full-time, then such work is not necessary.

So the procedure? :-
  • Apply for a CoA as soon as possible, using the link provided above
  • Once you have that CoA, the two of you need to go along to a designated Register Office and give Notice of Intention to Marry. After the notice has been posted publicly for 15 days the needed legal permission to marry will be issued.
  • Get married, some time during the period of validity of that permission to marry, which lasts 12 months. But of course you need to marry before your student visa expires.
  • After the marriage, apply for a two-year spouse visa using form FLR(M).
John