ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

urgent advice needed

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

marley2005

urgent advice needed

Post by marley2005 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:51 pm

dear guys,
as always when i need help i do feel this is the best site i come to.
well as john adviced me , i resigned from the job i had and moved to live wiht my wife since the 23rd dec as i got the spouse visa issued. but , i since i arrived i have been applying for jobs and i got many promisses but up till now i did not get confirmation about when to start. so for more than a month now since my arrival i am living in the uk wiht my wife but still jobless, we have been to job centre and decalred our situation, they said no worries you will get benefits status changed to your wife till you find a job, and i keep going for an interview wiht them every week. my question is do i ahve to worry about the period that i will take to find a job or what they said was right , because when i think about it i feel that i was given the visa as that i am the one sponsorign my wife, but taking all this period to find a job is making me feeling i may be taken as i did not respect the rules. please advise

John

Post by John » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:19 am

Marley, congratulations on getting to the UK, but sorry to hear you are struggling to get a job.

Can't you get anything? Just to tide you over until a "proper job" comes along? If you take a low-paid job ... even stacking the shelves in the local supermarket ... that is surely better than nothing. And Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit would, if you are earning a low amount, be worth a considerable amount to you and your family.

[Note to others: Marley is here on a spouse visa. His wife is British. It is therefore OK for the two of them to submit a joint claim to Tax Credits, notwithstanding the fact that Marley's spouse visa will have the "No recourse to Public Funds" restriction.]
John

ilm

Post by ilm » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:52 am

One month is not really that long, especially at this time of year, so don't be too diheartened not to have found work. There are other places to find work other than the job centre and employers undoubtedly prefer to employ people who already have a job as it shows they are prepared to work. (Or rather if they don't have a job they will always ask themselves why?) If you don't have any employment history in the UK that may also work against you.

Depending where you are in the country a job agency should be able to find you something, even if it is only temporary. It might not be exactly what you want to do but it is all good experience and you can use it a stepping stone to a job you do want.