ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse of EU national with PR still needs medical insurance?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bbqstream
Newly Registered

Spouse of EU national with PR still needs medical insurance?

Post by bbqstream » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:49 pm

My Dear Friends,

I just called Home Office again and mentioned if my husband (EEA national) has a PR, whether I still need to provide the comprehensive sickness insurance in my EEA4 application.

The HO advisor said because both my husband and I were students during the last 5 years here, even if my husband has got his PR for a few years, I still need to provide the insurance record for both of us in the application.

FAINT!

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:52 pm

Has your husband been resident in the UK for 5 years in accordance with the EEA regulations?

Has he been issued with a Permanent Residence Certificate confirm his right of Permanent Residence?
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

bbqstream
Newly Registered

Post by bbqstream » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:04 pm

Yes, my husband has been resident in the UK for 9 years and has been issued with a Permanent Residence Certificate confirm his right of Permanent Residence at the end of 2007.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:10 pm

Ok, so in order to receive your Permanent Residence Card, you need to provide evidence that:
  • You have been resident with your husband in the UK since the end of 2007 until now and,
  • You have been resident with your husband in the UK since the end of 2004* until the end of 2007 and during this time he was resident in the UK in accordance with the EEA regulations.
*or early 2005 - just so long as it adds up to 5 years.

bbqstream
Newly Registered

Post by bbqstream » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:26 pm

Thanks!

So you mean that I have to provide evidence that my husband was exerising treaty rights under the EEA law for the period from 2004 to 2007, which means the medical insurance during 2004 to 2007 has to be provided as we were both students.?
Last edited by bbqstream on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:28 pm

bbqstream wrote:Thanks!

So you mean that from 2004 to 2007 I have to provide evidence that he was exerising treaty rights under the EEA law, which means the medical insurance has to be provided during 2004 to 2007 as we were both students.?
That is correct, unless he was also working. Comprehensive sickness insurance cover is not required for time when the EEA national was employed or self-employed.

bbqstream
Newly Registered

Post by bbqstream » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks a lot Ben!

Before you suggested me, I was thinking of buying a medical insurance for myself and my husband, particularly when today I got the above information from the HO advisor (as he said entire 5 years insurance has to be provided as both of us were student, even if my husband has a PR for years). However, as you just advidsed, there is no need to get any insurance from now as my husband's status changed 2 years ago.

Best wishes!