ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I use ARC to apply for Learners Licence? Please help

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

alalal
Newly Registered

Can I use ARC to apply for Learners Licence? Please help

Post by alalal » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:25 pm

I wish to learn to drive and the only I.D i have is valid card.

Can I send this to Dvla to regster for a learners licence?

Thank you in advanced for taking time to answer my question.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:53 pm

Apparently not:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr ... DG_4022091

From what I can see - the ARC is not an ID card - so that won't be any good for the application.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:38 am

The problem with ARC cards is that they only acknowledge that the holder has made a claim for asylum in the identity which he/she has alleged. A huge number of asylum claimants have no proof of their identity, and indeed many give a false one, so the ARC card is no guarantee of i/d.

Thandia

Re: Can I use ARC to apply for Learners Licence? Please help

Post by Thandia » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:30 am

alalal wrote:I wish to learn to drive and the only I.D i have is valid card.

Can I send this to Dvla to regster for a learners licence?

Thank you in advanced for taking time to answer my question.

Asylum seekers & anyone else without LTR can no longer be issued with learner's licences until they actually have a grant of status. You can apply but whether or not it will be issued is another matter.

from DVLA regarding the residency rules:

Applicants who are not UK citizens or citizens of another European Union or European Economic Area state (EU/EEA) will not be considered 'normally resident' for the purposes of a driving licence application if they:

* do not have leave to remain in the UK
* are in the country on a temporary basis without leave to remain either while awaiting a decision on an application to stay in the UK or following a decision refusing such an application.

Further info HERE

so.blessed
Newly Registered

Post by so.blessed » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:24 pm

hiya...

jus to let you know that it is possible to apply for a learners license etc with an ARC...
my asylum case has been pending for a while now and being from Zimbabwe we can change our driving licence for a British one... for the longest time people were telling me I had to wait until I got a positive decision before i could apply for a British License. Then mid last year I rang DVLA enquiring and aparantly i could!!! they asked me to send my ARC, original birth certificate, all the latest letters from Home and benefits book etc.... and within two months i had a British License!!!!! I would urge you to send in your application ... the worst that could happen is them saying no.... you got nothing to lose! good luck.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:31 pm

please be aware that rules change with alarming regularity and what was valid last year may not be valid this year

Thandia

Post by Thandia » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:34 pm

mochyn wrote:please be aware that rules change with alarming regularity and what was valid last year may not be valid this year
True. A few months ago, the DVLA did not have this restriction:

Applicants who are not UK citizens or citizens of another European Union or European Economic Area state (EU/EEA) will not be considered 'normally resident' for the purposes of a driving licence application if they:

* do not have leave to remain in the UK
* are in the country on a temporary basis without leave to remain either while awaiting a decision on an application to stay in the UK or following a decision refusing such an application.

I know this because I helped a few asylum seekers and legacy cases get learners licences and full licences using their ARCs.

However, some people are luckier than others. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that. AFAIK you get your money back if they don't issue the licence, unless this has also recently changed. :?