ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation for a minor, with parents, which form?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ben
Diamond Member

Naturalisation for a minor, with parents, which form?

Post by Ben » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:24 am

Hi folks, wonder if anyone can advise:

Parents and their 16 year old child wish to apply together for naturalisation based on Irish associations.

Does the 16 year old child complete Form 9 - "APPLICATION BY A NATURALIZED CITIZEN FOR A CERTIFICATE OF NATURALISATION FOR A MINOR"? It would seem wrong, since the parents are not (yet) naturalised citizens.

Or does the 16 year old child complete Form 8 - "APPLICATION BY A PERSON OF FULL AGE FOR NATURALISATION AS AN IRISH CITIZEN". Again, I'm not sure this would be correct either, since he is not of full age.

I can't call the INIS, as they're not answering the phone.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:53 pm

Must be form 8 as neither parent is a naturalised citizen. However will have to wait until 18 years of age.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:01 pm

jhbmike wrote:Must be form 8 as neither parent is a naturalised citizen. However will have to wait until 18 years of age.
Damn. Seriously?

9jeirean

Re: Naturalisation for a minor, with parents, which form?

Post by 9jeirean » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi Ben,

Tricky this one. They may complete Form 10 http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/FM07000167

According to INIS:
Form 10 - Application for a certificate of naturalisation for a minor of Irish descent

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CAREFULLY.
APPLICATIONS FOR A CERTIFICATE OF NATURALISATION ON BEHALF OF A MINOR BASED ON IRISH DECENT OR IRISH ASSOCIATIONS CAN BE MADE BY A PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN (LEGAL GUARDIANSHIP GRANTED IN THE COURTS OF THIS STATE). IF LEGAL GUARDIAN IS APPLYING PLEASE SUBMIT COURT PAPERS.
It would appear that the parents do not have to be Irish at the time of application for the minor. I think the balance of decision would be decided by the strength of "association" they are claiming with the Irish citizen. This has always been at the minister's discretion and still remains undefined hitherto.

9j
Last edited by 9jeirean on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What lies behind us and ahead of us is nothing compared to what lies within us

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:47 pm

9jeirean wrote:Hi Ben,

Tricky this one. They may complete Form 10 http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/FM07000167

According to INIS:
Form 10 - Application for a certificate of naturalisation for a minor of Irish descent

APPLICATIONS FOR A CERTIFICATE OF NATURALISATION ON BEHALF OF A MINOR BASED ON IRISH DECENT OR IRISH ASSOCIATIONS CAN BE MADE BY A PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN (LEGAL GUARDIANSHIP GRANTED IN THE COURTS OF THIS STATE). IF LEGAL GUARDIAN IS APPLYING PLEASE SUBMIT COURT PAPERS.
It would appear that the parents have to be Irish at the time of application for the minor. I think the balance of decision would be decided by the strength of "association" they are claiming with the Irish citizen. This has always been at the minister's discretion and still remains undefined hitherto.

9j
I think Form 10 may be the one, 9jeirean, you're right. I must have missed that one.

I don't see that the parents must be Irish citizens at the time of application though, just that the minor himself must be of "Irish associations".

Irish associations is defined as being "related by blood affinity or adoption to a person who is an Irish citizen".

The three people who are applying (the two parents and their 16 year old son) are, respectively, the parents of my wife and the younger brother of my wife. My son is an Irish citizen and is, of course, a blood relation of the three applicants.

I suspect that these three applications are long shots and may not be approved. Has anyone any experience of applications for naturalisation based on Irish associations, where the Irish citizen is the grandson / nephew of the applicant?

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:11 pm

Ben wrote:
9jeirean wrote:Hi Ben,

According to INIS:

It would appear that the parents do not have to be Irish at the time of application for the minor. I think the balance of decision would be decided by the strength of "association" they are claiming with the Irish citizen. This has always been at the minister's discretion and still remains undefined hitherto.

9j
I think Form 10 may be the one, 9jeirean, you're right. I must have missed that one.

I don't see that the parents must be Irish citizens at the time of application though, just that the minor himself must be of "Irish associations".

Irish associations is defined as being "related by blood affinity or adoption to a person who is an Irish citizen".

The three people who are applying (the two parents and their 16 year old son) are, respectively, the parents of my wife and the younger brother of my wife. My son is an Irish citizen and is, of course, a blood relation of the three applicants.

I suspect that these three applications are long shots and may not be approved. Has anyone any experience of applications for naturalisation based on Irish associations, where the Irish citizen is the grandson / nephew of the applicant?
Apologies Ben. I meant to write that the parents do not have to be Irish to apply. I have amended my post accordingly.

You may be right about the applications being long shots. My experience in this regard was based on an application I submitted on behalf of our first child who was born outside of Ireland. We applied using form 10 on the basis of her being of Irish association (blood affinity) to our 2nd child who was born in Ireland hence an Irish citizen. The application was accepted and a reference number given. We however received a letter a couple of months later that after due consideration by the minister, he has decided not to grant citizenship in that instance. So you see, this things is at the total discretion of the minister.

Am sure you know well enough about Irish immigration system not to let that deter your brother in-law from applying. Let them give it a shot. They've got nothing to lose. Better still their application might catch the minister on a good day (lol)

I wish them good luck

9j
What lies behind us and ahead of us is nothing compared to what lies within us