ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

6 Months in UK and 6 Months in Thailand each year

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

SimonJJ
Newly Registered

6 Months in UK and 6 Months in Thailand each year

Post by SimonJJ » Sat May 15, 2010 2:27 am

I am British and I am married to a Thai lady (we have 2 kids) and we have all been living in Thailand for the last 4 years.

We want to spend 6 months every year in Thailand and 6 months every year in the UK. I need to understand the steps in order to do this. Am I correct that:

1. Wife applies for Family Permit (in Thailand) using VAF5
2. We all come to UK together
3. Wife applies for EEA2 'Residence Card' (in UK)
4. After 6 months we go back to Thailand
5. 6 Months later??????

So I think the above is correct but I would appreciate confirmation. After 6 months back in Thailand what do we need to do in order to come back to UK for a further 6 months........is it the same again.....or is it nothing?

Furthermore:
1. Will my wife be allowed to work each time in the UK?
2. Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat May 15, 2010 6:36 am

EEA Familt Permit and Residence applies only to EEA nationals exercising a treaty right - are you doing this ie living in another EU state or hold two EU nationalities?

What u propose isn't easy, visit visas seem the best option, tho u run into the 'genuine visitor' issue and it's unlikey any will be granted with a spouse in the UK. Plus no work.

Another is after being married for four years, pass the KOL test and apply for ILE, keeping it active with ur six month visits to UK. Otherwise it can be lost if residency is not maintained.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: 6 Months in UK and 6 Months in Thailand each year

Post by 86ti » Sat May 15, 2010 6:37 am

SimonJJ wrote:I am British and I am married to a Thai lady (we have 2 kids) and we have all been living in Thailand for the last 4 years.
You obviously don't qualify for the EEA route.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: 6 Months in UK and 6 Months in Thailand each year

Post by Wanderer » Sat May 15, 2010 6:41 am

86ti wrote:
SimonJJ wrote:I am British and I am married to a Thai lady (we have 2 kids) and we have all been living in Thailand for the last 4 years.
You obviously don't qualify for the EEA route.
Unless he was born in Northern Ireland!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....