ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp transfer to new passport

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dunav
Newly Registered

Stamp transfer to new passport

Post by dunav » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:48 am

Hello fellow board members,

I have to renew my passport quite soon. The problem is I have two active and *valuable* visas in it - a US work visa and a 1-year HSMP entry clearance.

Do you guys know if I will have to go through the hassle of transferring the HSMP EC to my new passport or can I just travel with both passports going forward? How about the US one?

Kind regards
Dunav

ps. Sorry if this question has been asked before...!

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:56 am

Dunav,

Wherever you go States or UK, you MUST have a valid Visa in a valid unexpired Passport, therefore, this will require you to transfer the relevant visas to the new passport
Where there is a will there is a way.

Dip

Post by Dip » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:10 pm

Chess,

I am afraid, I beg to differ.

I have a US visa on a passport that expired in 1999. I am still using it for entry into the US. This passport also had my UK workpermit, which I never transferred on the new passport.

Based on my experience, I am sure it should be fine, as long as you carry both passports, unless things have changed since December 2003, when I last travelled to NY.

Regards
Dip

dunav
Newly Registered

Post by dunav » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:42 pm

Thanks Chess and Dip

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:19 pm

Dip,

Thanx for that clarification (I applied basic logic when responding to Dunav), however, one should bear in mind that 'immigration' rules are changing very fast in all the 'developed' nations!!!

Seeing that there is a high possibility that all Brits and EU citizens who had a right to walk into the US under the VWP will soon have to apply for Visas and the new fingerprinting/eye scanning ....to mention but a few, I would not take any chances
Where there is a will there is a way.

Dip

Post by Dip » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:59 am

Chess wrote:Dip,
one should bear in mind that 'immigration' rules are changing very fast in all the 'developed' nations!!!

, I would not take any chances
I agree with you and lets keep our eyes and ears open for any changes on this one.

Thanks and regards
Dip

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:02 pm

To add on to comments by Chess & Dip refer to response on the same from US Embassy in London FAQ.
I have renewed my expired passport which contains a valid U.S. visa. Can I still use the visa?

If the passport in which your visa has been endorsed has expired, the visa in the old passport can still be used provided that you also carry a valid passport of the same nationality. If, however, the passport authority clipped the corners of the passport when canceling your old passport and, in so doing damaged the visa in any way, that visa is no longer valid and cannot be used for travel. In such circumstances you will be required to apply for a new visa, or if eligible, may travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.

Filip
Newly Registered

Post by Filip » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:02 am

Dear Dunav,

you don't have to reapply for a visa. According to the US Immigration Law you are able to travel with two passports. A valid one will confirm your personal details, but an expired passport has to be provided due to availability of entry visa.