ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family Member Permit - can I work?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nao123
Newly Registered

EEA Family Member Permit - can I work?

Post by nao123 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:57 pm

Hope someone can clear this up for me - so frustrated!

I got a family member permit while over in Ireland in late May while my EEA2 Visa app is under consideration in Liverpool. Before heading over I spoke to 2 different folks at Liverpool who told me I needed the FP to get back to the UK with my partner, but would not be a work permit. This was what I was told at the Dublin office as well. So, after three attempts I was finally granted an FP, that simply says "to acc xxx" - nothing about work, just a 6 months expiry date.

A couple weeks ago I asked my MP to look into my residency card and they got a reply stating that my FP states I'm allowed to work!!! So I've dug online and sure enough, the fine print says I can work but I'm getting mixed messages from the talking heads.

SO - does anyone know how I can tell if I can work based on the sticker on the passport?

Thanks,

Nao123

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:23 pm

Yes, you can work.

nao123
Newly Registered

Post by nao123 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:16 am

Well, I called the Liverpool office where my residence card is, and they say I CAN'T WORK. I quoted the letter saying the opposite, so teh woman I spoke to said she would take it to the casework team to confirm yes or no - which she said would take WEEKS. Can't get a straight answer out of anyone. Will write my MP again and see if he can put some pressure on. But who knows what's going to happen know with the cap aswell!

677ano

Re: EEA Family Member Permit - can I work?

Post by 677ano » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:40 pm

nao123 wrote:Hope someone can clear this up for me - so frustrated!

I got a family member permit while over in Ireland in late May while my EEA2 Visa app is under consideration in Liverpool. Before heading over I spoke to 2 different folks at Liverpool who told me I needed the FP to get back to the UK with my partner, but would not be a work permit. This was what I was told at the Dublin office as well. So, after three attempts I was finally granted an FP, that simply says "to acc xxx" - nothing about work, just a 6 months expiry date.

A couple weeks ago I asked my MP to look into my residency card and they got a reply stating that my FP states I'm allowed to work!!! So I've dug online and sure enough, the fine print says I can work but I'm getting mixed messages from the talking heads.

SO - does anyone know how I can tell if I can work based on the sticker on the passport?

Thanks,

Nao123
Define your relationship to the EEA national

are you a married or unmarried partner of the EU national? what does it say on your COA? what does the sticker in your passport say?
we can all change our stars

nao123
Newly Registered

Post by nao123 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:31 am

My COA does not have anything about being allowed to work. My passport sticker doesnt either - just says that I'm allowed to accompany my partner into the country. I've been living (unmarried) with my partner for 2.5 years.

I will chase the Liverpool office this week and see if it has in fact been "escalated"!

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:41 am

Oversight on my part...

As you are an unmarried partner of a EU national you may not be allowed to work until such a time when the UKBA acknowledges you as the 'family member of a EU national' by issuing you with a RC. However, this should be done within 6 months from the date of receipt of your application.

kabuki
United States of America

Post by kabuki » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:58 pm

Plum70 wrote:Oversight on my part...

As you are an unmarried partner of a EU national you may not be allowed to work until such a time when the UKBA acknowledges you as the 'family member of a EU national' by issuing you with a RC. However, this should be done within 6 months from the date of receipt of your application.
What about study? I've just received my EEA Family Permit and will be moving to London in the next few weeks. I have a PGCE offer for Sept 2010. Is studying on a FP ok as the unmarried partner of an EEA national? I stated in my application that I will be studying before seeking employment.

As the UK seem to take the full 6 months to issue a RC, I doubt I'll have it before Sept, especially if we don't make the move until the end of the month.