ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british nationality

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rahul pandya
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

british nationality

Post by rahul pandya » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:49 am

Dear sir/madam,

Re: born to British mother before 1983

could you please let me due to recent change in nationality law would it be possible to apply under UKM category.

. my mother was born in Africa and she was a British protected person by birth and my grandparent was CUKC British subject in fact my granddad was naturalized in 1952 under British nationality act 1948 which include my mother’s name as citizen of united kingdom and colony but I did not understand why they issue British protected passport later on, and she is holding now full British citizenship, she got full British citizenship last year in fact she is register as a British citizen under BNA 1981 section 4B. I born in 1979 in India and that time mother was British protected person.. would it be possible to apply for any citizenship such British citizen on bases of my mother such as UKM category . currently I am holding Indian nationality. if u could guide me in this matter will be grateful.

if you need further information don’t hesitate to write me..

waiting for your reply,

jimbo_uk

Post by jimbo_uk » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:04 pm

Hello,

To register as the minor of a British Citizen I think you'd need to be under 18.

You may be able to register as an adult if you were born to a mother who was a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies at the time of your birth.

You say your mother received full British citizenship last year? If your mother successfully acquired British Citizenship in 2009, it implies that she was not a British Citizen prior to 2009.

If your Mother was a British citizen when you were born, you are eligible to register as a UK citizen.

rahul pandya
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

British nationality

Post by rahul pandya » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:41 am

Thank you for your reply, my mother got full british citizenship in 2005 under british nationality act 1981 section 4b . but i dont understand why its happend because my grandfather naturalised as british citizen in 1952 which include childs name i.e. my mothers name, as CUCK from the date. would it be possible to get right of abode on basis of grandparent, your advice would be appericiated.

jimbo_uk

Post by jimbo_uk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:21 am

Hi,

For an ancestry visa through a grandparent, the grandparent must have been born in the UK.

I don't know the details of how your grandfather became British, but when I naturalized as a UK citizen it did not automatically apply to my children.

However, if you have documentation showing that your mother was a citizen at the time of your birth, then it seems you can apply. You could contact the British Embassy (assuming you're overseas).

rahul pandya
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

british nationality

Post by rahul pandya » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:16 am

Dear,

Thanks for your earlier reply, i do understand i do have scanned document if u give me your email id i could send you email to have look if u know about nationality.

Thanks & regards,

Rahul Pandya

jimbo_uk

Post by jimbo_uk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:25 pm

Hello Rahul,

I have sent you a PM concerning this.

rahul pandya
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

british nationality

Post by rahul pandya » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:31 pm

Thanks please check ur email

JAJ
Australia

Re: British nationality

Post by JAJ » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:08 am

rahul pandya wrote:Thank you for your reply, my mother got full british citizenship in 2005 under british nationality act 1981 section 4b . but i dont understand why its happend because my grandfather naturalised as british citizen in 1952 which include childs name i.e. my mothers name, as CUCK from the date. would it be possible to get right of abode on basis of grandparent, your advice would be appericiated.
Where did your grandfather become naturalised CUKC? In the United Kingdom itself? Or in a colony/protectorate?

rahul pandya
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

british nationality

Post by rahul pandya » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:46 am

Thanks JAJ for your reply, my grandfather naturlised in taganyika in 1952 it should be colony means CUKC. please guide me your help will be appericate. i have also send you PM. Thanks
Rahul

rahul pandya
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Registration as BC UKM Category

Post by rahul pandya » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:12 am

HI!!,

Just wanted to know any one got approval under UKM whose Mother was CUKC at the time of Applicant Birth and become BC citizenship in 2005 i.e. Register as BC under section 4b of Nationality Act 1981. Mother born at Tangynika (Tanzania ) in 1949. Grand Father Naturilise as CUKC in 1952 which include mother's name as CUKC. Child born in 1979 India. can child able to register under UKM category or can he register under Section 4C.

your expert advise will be helpful.

Regards,

secret.simon

Re: british nationality

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:30 am

rahul pandya wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:12 am
Grand Father Naturilise as CUKC in 1952 which include mother's name as CUKC.
It depends on when and how the grandfather naturalised.

Was the grandfather naturalised in the UK or was he naturalised in a colony or protectorate? Do you have a copy of the naturalisation certificate? If so, can you upload it here, taking our all personally identifiable information?

Form UKM only applies if, at the time of your birth, your mother was either a British citizen or a CUKC with the Right of Abode in the UK. Even assuming that your grandfather and mother were CUKCs, they would only have had the Right of Abode in the UK if they were either naturalised or registered in the UK (not a colony) or had resided in the UK (as presently constituted) for at least five years.

Therefore, unless your mother had resided in the UK for at least five years before your birth OR your grandfather and mother were naturalised in the UK, you are not eligible to apply on Form UKM.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:51 am

As the scans you uploaded had a lot of personal information, I have moved the post out of public access.

The naturalisation certificates were issued in Dar-Es-Salaam, in the Tanganyika Mandate Territory. There was therefore no link to the UK as currently constituted.

Therefore, unless your mother had resided in the UK for five years before your birth, she would not have had the Right of Abode in the UK at the time of your birth and therefore you are not eligible to apply for British citizenship on Form UKM.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

rahul pandya
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by rahul pandya » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:57 am

How do we know that CUKC holder have right of abode as per BNA 1948 and 1971 .. as they were BRITISH subject CUKC.

Regards
RAHUL

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:04 am

Not all CUKCs/British subjects had the Right of Abode in the UK. As a general rule, only CUKCs who were born in the UK or whose parents were born in the UK or who had lived in the UK for five continuous years had the Right of Abode in the UK.
Section 2 of the Immigration Act 1971 as enacted wrote:Statement of right of abode, and related amendments as to citizenship by registration
(1)A person is under this Act to have the right of abode in the United Kingdom if—

(a)he is a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies who has that citizenship by his birth, adoption, naturalisation or (except as mentioned below) registration in the United Kingdom or in any of the Islands; or

(b)he is a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies born to or legally adopted by a parent who had that citizenship at the time of the birth or adoption, and the parent either—
(i)then had that citizenship by his birth, adoption, naturalisation or (except as mentioned below) registration in the United Kingdom or in any of the Islands; or
(ii)had been born to or legally adopted by a parent who at the time of that birth or adoption so had it; or

(c)he is a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies who has at any time been settled in the United Kingdom and Islands and had at that time (and while such a citizen) been ordinarily resident there for the last five years or more ; or

(d)he is a Commonwealth citizen born to or legally adopted by a parent who at the time of the birth or adoption had citizenship of the United Kingdom and Colonies by his birth in the United Kingdom or in any of the Islands.
CUKCs who did not have the Right of Abode in the UK on 1st January 1983 became British Overseas Citizens after 1983. Those who did have the Right of Abode on that date became British citizens.