ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

LOST LIFE IN THE UK TEST CERTIFICATE

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

green_express
Newly Registered

Post by green_express » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:11 pm

Wondering if anyone can help.

My spouse took a life in the uk test in September 2008, which was submitted with her application for indefinite leave to remain in the uk, this was refused on the basis of her being granted leave outside of the immigration rules, meaning she had to complete 6 years of limited leave before being considered for ILR, the 6 years are due for completion in the next few months and the problem is that we have tried on several occasions to have our original documents submitted to UKBA back in 2008 returned to us, without any luck. The most important document being the Life in the UK Test certificate.

Is there any way for the home office to confirm that she took the test and passed it ?

Your help is much appreciated. [/b]

alikhan28
BANNED

Re: LOST LIFE IN THE UK TEST CERTIFICATE

Post by alikhan28 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:52 pm

green_express wrote:Wondering if anyone can help.

My spouse took a life in the uk test in September 2008, which was submitted with her application for indefinite leave to remain in the uk, this was refused on the basis of her being granted leave outside of the immigration rules, meaning she had to complete 6 years of limited leave before being considered for ILR, the 6 years are due for completion in the next few months and the problem is that we have tried on several occasions to have our original documents submitted to UKBA back in 2008 returned to us, without any luck. The most important document being the Life in the UK Test certificate.

Is there any way for the home office to confirm that she took the test and passed it ?

If you have lost life in UK test then you have to do it again.

Record should be in home office computer system but you need ref no.

to avoid any complications do this test again.

Ali

ajmal

Post by ajmal » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:22 pm

green_express wrote:Wondering if anyone can help.

You dont need to worry, when you will send documents for ILR again just send the previous refusal copy with covering letter mentioning that you already submitted life in the Uk test certificate original with previous application.

Why you did not appeal when they refuse your spouse ILR application last time?

alikhan28
BANNED

Post by alikhan28 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:33 pm

Hi
You dont need to worry, when you will send documents for ILR again just send the previous refusal copy with covering letter mentioning that you already submitted life in the Uk test certificate original with previous application.

Why you did not appeal when they refuse your spouse ILR application last time?
But without any copy or reference no how you would prove to home office?

Do you have a copy of this certificate?

Ali

jammybunn

Post by jammybunn » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:56 pm

you wont need to resit it again despite alikhans comment.

2 reasons are that the HO can confirm KOL has been obtained (it is ESOL that causes problems) so they wouldnt need the certificate physically and secondly, if your partner is technically applying for ILR on completion of 6 years DL then she will effecively be applying outside the immigration rules, not subject to them and therefore would not be reliant upon it

alikhan28
BANNED

Post by alikhan28 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:37 pm

2 reasons are that the HO can confirm KOL has been obtained (it is ESOL that causes problems) so they wouldnt need the certificate physically and
I would quote from uk in life test website which is owns by home office.
What happens if I lose my pass notification letter?/size]

Your pass notification letter is very important: you should keep it in a safe place until you are ready to fill in your application for citizenship or indefinite leave to remain. If you lose this letter, you will not be given a new one to replace it. This means that you may have to pay to take the test again.
http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/htmls ... er_10.html

secondly, if your partner is technically applying for ILR on completion of 6 years DL then she will effecively be applying outside the immigration rules, not subject to them and therefore would not be reliant upon it.
I can confirm you dont need Life in Uk Test to apply for ILR.

Here is guideline from a uk web site.

]Exemption for certain immigration categories
You will not have to meet the KOL requirement if you are being granted settlement outside the Immigration Rules, or if you are applying for settlement as:

* a Foreign and Commonwealth citizen on discharge from HM Forces (including a Gurkha);
* the husband, wife or civil partner of a Foreign and Commonwealth citizen on discharge from HM Forces (including a Gurkha);
* a victim of domestic violence;
* the bereaved partner (husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner) of a British citizen or someone who was settled here;
* a parent, grandparent or other dependent relative of a British citizen or someone who has settled here (under paragraph 317 of the Immigration Rules);
* a retired person of independent means;
* a European national or the non-European family member of a European national, making an application under the Free Movement of Persons provisions (not based on the Immigration Rules);
* a Turkish businessperson under the European Community Association Agreement (ECAA) with Turkey;
* someone who has spent five years in the UK with permission to stay as a refugee;
* someone who has spent six years in the UK with discretionary leave;
* someone who has spent four years in the UK with exceptional leave to remain;
* someone who has spent five years in the UK with humanitarian protection; or
* a dependent child of someone in an employment category that preceding the points-based system (listed in paragraphs 128-193 of the Immigration Rules, excluding paragraphs 135I-135K) or of someone who is here as a businessman, self-employed person, investor, writer, composer or artist (paragraphs 200-239 of the Immigration Rules). This includes children who are 18 or over when they apply.

However, you will need to demonstrate your knowledge of language and life in the UK if you later apply for British citizenship, unless you are exempt for other reasons. For more information, see the Citizenship section.

If you are applying for settlement in one of the categories above, you should ensure that you meet the requirements for that category and can provide documentary evidence to support your application. The application form for your settlement category lists the evidence.
I would thank for Life in Uk Test link.I struggle to find it.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settl ... uage-life/

Ali
..................................................................................................
This is simply a general discussion not an immigration advice. I not necessarily correct on everything I would say. I am learning too

alikhan28
BANNED

Post by alikhan28 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi

As this has confirmed you dont need Life in Uk Test to apply for ILR after completing 6 years on DL so end of story.

Case solved.

Ali
..................................................................................................
This is simply a general discussion not an immigration advice. I not necessarily correct on everything I would say. I am learning too

green_express
Newly Registered

Post by green_express » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:11 pm

Much appreciated for your advice.

Thank you very much.

green_express
Newly Registered

Post by green_express » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:12 pm

Ok, just to follow up on this, apparently Siemens are the company responsible for processing of the initial applications, I have a received a letter for the UKBA stating that only 2 passports (Mine and Spouse's), the application form and the fee were in the received in the envelope, when I actually sent a lot more documents in support of the application, including the Life in the UK Test Certificate for my Spouse.

Basically if Siemens are claiming only those documents were received and the UKBA are distancing themselves from them by pointing the finger at them, who do I hold accountable for the loss of documents ?

Clearly whoever processed the application, just dumped all the additional documents in the bin, and didn't bother logging them on the stream sheet which states what documents have been received, so it comes down to my word against theirs.

I've asked my local MP to write to the UKBA to investigate the matter, but I am not holding out much hope for it.

Does anyone have a contact number for the Siemens Durham office as that is the region/area that processed the application, tried calling their head office number, but no one has a clue which department to connect me to.

green_express
Newly Registered

Post by green_express » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:11 pm

Did anyone take their Life in the UK Test at the test centre in Ilford Library ? if so can they remember the name of the company that used to administer the test ? They are no longer there any more and Life in the UK helpline are telling me they don't keep any records of past test centres ?

green_express
Newly Registered

Post by green_express » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:26 pm

Just to provide a quick update. Went for NCS today and while there, they phoned the UKBA Nationality helpline and obtained the Test Number.

So they have a way to check that you definitely took the test and passed or failed etc.

You don't have to take the test again if your Certificate is lost or stolen in the postal system as long as you have passed it.

You will however need the date and place where you took the test.

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:34 pm

Thanks for coming back with an update Greenexpress. It's helpful information for other members in a similar situation.
I'm pleased things are moving fowards for your wife now.

donmagsino
Newly Registered

Post by donmagsino » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:20 am

green_express wrote:Just to provide a quick update. Went for NCS today and while there, they phoned the UKBA Nationality helpline and obtained the Test Number.

So they have a way to check that you definitely took the test and passed or failed etc.

You don't have to take the test again if your Certificate is lost or stolen in the postal system as long as you have passed it.

Hi Green Express, thank you for this info. Do you have the number of NCS. I have sent the original copy of my Certificate of Life in the UK test to Home Office when i applied for ILR. I did not retain a photocopy. Now im applying for Naturalization. On the form, it states that i need to provide Test Number which i dont have. Please advise many thanks!

green_express
Newly Registered

Post by green_express » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:35 pm

donmagsino wrote:
green_express wrote:Just to provide a quick update. Went for NCS today and while there, they phoned the UKBA Nationality helpline and obtained the Test Number.

Hi Green Express, thank you for this info. Do you have the number of NCS. I have sent the original copy of my Certificate of Life in the UK test to Home Office when i applied for ILR. I did not retain a photocopy. Now im applying for Naturalization. On the form, it states that i need to provide Test Number which i dont have. Please advise many thanks!
Hi donmagsino, We were in the same position as you, make sure you do the NCS service where they check your originals and give them back to you rather than having to send in to the UKBA. They have their own helpline, so I don't have the phone number, but as long as you have the date and place where you took the test, that should be enough information for them to confirm it's a passed test.