ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CAN MY DAUGHTER GET BRITISH PASSPORT??

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

name
Newly Registered

CAN MY DAUGHTER GET BRITISH PASSPORT??

Post by name » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:29 am

hi, i have a 3 year old daughter..when she was born i did not put her fathers name on the birth certificate..i am an asylum seeker and have limited leave to enter, the father is British... what do i need to do in order to put his name on the birth certificate and can he then as her father apply for to get British passport??? than u

angel786

Post by angel786 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:55 am

deleted
Last edited by angel786 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:15 am

angel786 wrote:she can only get it from father if you were married at the time of her birth.even if his name where on birth certificate
That's incorrect. Legitimacy is not an issue for British citizenship if she was born on or after 1 July 2006 (24. Meaning of "parent").
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

name
Newly Registered

Post by name » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:58 am

so ,can she or can't she? :?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:53 am

She can, if she has a parent who is a British citizen at the time of her birth.

Read the link for "meaning of parent".
Last edited by vinny on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:02 am

name wrote:so ,can she or can't she? :?
She can, only if it is proved that she is the child of a British citizen father.

See also Changing or adding a parent’s details to a birth record.

regards

name
Newly Registered

Post by name » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:41 pm

24.2 In relation to a person born on or after 1 July 2006 and who is conceived on or before 5 April 2009,
•
the mother is the woman who gives birth to the child, and
•
the father is either:
(a) the mother’s husband, if any, at the time of the child’s birth,

THE PROBLEM HERE IS THAT I WAS NOT MARRIED TO HIM ,WHEN MY DAUGHTER WAS BORN AND I AM NOT MARRIED TO HIM NOW EITHER....SO WITHOUTH BEING MARRIED,CAN HE APPLY FOR BRITISH PASSPOST FOR HER???

angel786

Post by angel786 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:18 pm

Last edited by angel786 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

angel786

Post by angel786 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:19 pm

name wrote:24.2 In relation to a person born on or after 1 July 2006 and who is conceived on or before 5 April 2009,
•
the mother is the woman who gives birth to the child, and
•
the father is either:
(a) the mother’s husband, if any, at the time of the child’s birth,

THE PROBLEM HERE IS THAT I WAS NOT MARRIED TO HIM ,WHEN MY DAUGHTER WAS BORN AND I AM NOT MARRIED TO HIM NOW EITHER....SO WITHOUTH BEING MARRIED,CAN HE APPLY FOR BRITISH PASSPOST FOR HER???
Last edited by angel786 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:37 pm

angel786 wrote:as people on here are confused with differences of british citizenship and british passport
One needs to be a British citizen before one can apply for a British passport.

As per OP the father is not listed in the child's birth certificate. So the question is, whether OP has any other acceptable documentary evidence to prove that the British citizen (father) is actually the father of the child? If there is none, the relevant link - explaining how the father's name can be added to the birth record of the child - has also been provided.

Since the OP (mother of the child) is not a British citizen, the only way the child can acquire British citizenship is through the British citizen father. If the OP has documentary evidence of the relationship of the child with the British citizen father (through whom the child may have automatic acquisition of British citizenship), only then an application for British passport can be submitted.

regards