ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Doctor permit-free training visa switch to WP dependant visa

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dr-training
Newly Registered

Doctor permit-free training visa switch to WP dependant visa

Post by dr-training » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:15 pm

Hi,

Both my husband and I am Malaysian, and currently live in the UK. I am a work permit holder since September 2003 (expiring June 2008) while my husband is currently under the permit-free training scheme visa (which will expire end of this August). The government has recently removed the doctors permit-free training scheme - which has made my husband having a difficulty in applying for a job as a doctor here because most employers now advertised with a note that "preference will be given to those who do not require a work permit" or "this job attracts only those who do not need a work permit".

I have phoned the IND several times to enquire about the possibility of changing my husband's immigration status as a dependent to me so that he can continue to stay with me in the UK (at least until my work permit expires) and also finish his doctor's training here and be able to get a job without a work permit. I was told that we will need to go back to Malaysia to apply for the work permit dependant visa for my husband. Is this certainly the case and how long would it generally takes (I saw some comments that some have waited for more than 2 years to get one - it's a bit worrying)? I am also confused that why can't we apply it here since we are in the UK anywhere?

Another question is that, if my husband did manage to get a job later where the employer is willing to apply a work permit for him, can he then switch from a WP dependant to a work permit easily or we will have to go back to our country again to sort this out?

Any advice/suggestions/comments will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!