ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child/Working Tax Credit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

215HAN

Child/Working Tax Credit

Post by 215HAN » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi!

Apology if posted before.

My wife has been in the uk for about 1 1/2 years from Pakistan on a spousal visa which states "no recourse to public funds".

I recently made an application for Working/Child Tax credits. This has now been setup but they have put Child Tax credit in wifes name.

What I wanted to know is that will my wife claiming child tax credit be refused permanent stay in the UK when time comes to apply for this which is next year. Its only recently been setup and am quite worried about this.

Please could someone shed some light on this.

Thanks

John

Post by John » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:37 pm

Please confirm that the Tax Credits claimed was made in joint names ... you and your wife.
John

215HAN

Post by 215HAN » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:42 am

Hi,

I did put my wife's name down on the application so I am guessing they took this as a joint claim because my wife did not have a NI number and HMRC only processed application till she got this which took quite a while.

John

Post by John » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:18 pm

That does sound like a joint application to me, which is as it should be. In respect of a couple living together, for just one of a couple to claim Tax Credits could amount to benefit fraud.
What I wanted to know is that will my wife claiming child tax credit be refused permanent stay in the UK when time comes to apply for this
Your situation is not unique. Please refer to this topic where the subject is dealt with fully.
John

215HAN

Post by 215HAN » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:25 pm

This is a joint claim and we do live together but I did not want child/working tax credit to be in her name because of "no recourse to public funds" so I dont understand how this is benefit fraud?

John

Post by John » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:18 pm

Well you have claimed the Tax Credits in joint names, so it is not benefit fraud.

Have you started to read the topic that I provided a link to?
John

shabz_81

Post by shabz_81 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:10 pm

Its easy to get the name changed to yours as the main claimant. Just ring up HMRC Tax Credits and say that you are the main carer of the child and you would like all future payments made in your name.

You may have noticed when Tax Credits are paid into the bank account the name of the person listed to receive the money has his/her name next to the credit.

John

Post by John » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:38 pm

Its easy to get the name changed to yours as the main claimant.
Totally unnecessary! It makes absolutely no difference who is the first-named claimant.
You may have noticed when Tax Credits are paid into the bank account the name of the person listed to receive the money has his/her name next to the credit.
And the point is? Who the joint claimants decide should get the money is irrelevant.
John

the child benefit form, the section about your partner

Post by 2036789 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:00 pm

my wife is on a settlement visa so i understand that i can claim child benefits on my name, me being british.
but in section 2 it asks about my partner should i leave this part blank or are there which i should leave blank such as where it asks for her NI(we havent got round to applying for a NI for her yet) any help is much apprecuated thanks
MM

John

Post by John » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:00 pm

Hide nothing ..... answer all the questions fully and accurately.

And if you have not already done so, please read the topic I provided a link to in my first post above on 28.09.10.
John