ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizen.Appl.Urgent Help/Council Tax Liability order

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Flower111
Newly Registered

British Citizen.Appl.Urgent Help/Council Tax Liability order

Post by Flower111 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:52 pm

Hello All

I am due to apply for british citizenship in couple of months time.

I own a flat in London which for the last couple of years I have been leasing to a Housing association. Lease contract between myself and the housing association has ended in November last year.

During the last few months of the lease agreement, the council has been sending to the flat the council tax demands in my name. The flat has been empty and no one from housing association has picked up my post.

Upon the end of the lease agreement I have been given the keys back by the housing association. It is only then when I actually physically entered the flat that I found all the unopened envelopes from the council.

When I opened and read them, I found out that council obtained the council tax Liability Order against my name from the Magistrates court.

As soon as I became aware of this I wrote to the council explaining the situation and they cancelled all the council tax invoices in my name and billed the housing association accordingly.

Obviously the council tax Liability order against my name was obtained by the council by mistake since during the lease agreement it was the responsibility of the housing association to pay the council tax.

The council has now rectified this mistake and brought the council tax account in my name into Zero amount.

I now have a question. When I apply for my british citizenship application, do I have to disclose/declare this council tax Liability Order?

Please all the people who were in a similar situation, Please would you respond?

Also, if there are any Legally trained in this area of law people in this forum, please would you respond and Help?

Thanks

iyanu
Member of Standing
Nigeria

Post by iyanu » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:00 pm

Yes, you have to declare this by explaining in a cover letter and describing the situation that led to your being issued with council tax Liability Order in your name.

Concluding that you have also rectified the issue and if you have any letter from the court or council to serve as evidence I will suggest that you enclose it in your application...that should do really...all the best!

Flower111
Newly Registered

Post by Flower111 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:54 am

Hello, anybody Help!!!!

Is council tax Liability Order considered to be Civil Judgement?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:23 am

Please don't make multiple posts on the same topic.