ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need guidance to approach the job market

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

vp77

Post by vp77 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:21 pm

Dear Friends,

Just got my tier 1 visa effective 15 Feb. Thanks to the excellent guidance provided by the forum members.

My Brief profile -

Current location - Mumbai
Qualification - PG in Management
Work Exp. - 10+ yrs in the financial services domain with reputed MNC banking / finance companies with 6-8 months of international experience - training related in US and UK
Personal - Married with a 5 yr old kid

I have got mixed opinions in terms of job searching on the forum. Some are saying you can search & get a job offer from India whereas others are of the opinion that the way is to land in UK and start the job search.
I have a permanent job here with a 2 month notice period.

I really need your guidance to take a decision on how do i approach the job market and howz the current job market in banking & finance.

Thanking the forum members in anticipation.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:46 am

That's why the UK is so strict about maintenance funds. Resign now and take your maintenance fund to move to the UK and find a job. It will be much easier than trying to apply from the other side of the world.
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:41 am

Dear VP77,

Your profile does seem good and you may stand a decent chance of getting a good job here. Your best bet is to come here and try and not waste time trying from India as that will take much longer to get anywhere.
Given you have 10yrs exp, I want to point out that when you come here and spend on living/daily expenses, you may end up saving LESS than when in Mumbai. I say this assuming you are earning above average salary for a 10y exp guy and that you are good at what you do.

As you have a young family, you also need to factor in additional costs as you know how expensive it is with kids :-)

Is your wife also working? I only ask because that gives an option of earning 2 incomes once you settle in here. Overall quality of life is great in the UK - you actually have time to do things YOU want but I wanted to caution you monetarily as there are chances your net savings here may be lesser than back home factoring in everything

All the best to you
KP

vp77

Post by vp77 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:49 am

Thank you so much for the guidance.

Yes, my wife is working in a school here teaching in pre-primary.

My biggest fear factor is not getting a proper job in UK within 2-3 months and the subsequent thought of coming back to India & starting here again. I know all this is a pure gamble of life and nothing is guaranteed, hope all works fine since all this is a life turning step.
Would you or any of your contact know the current job market in banking / finance there? If yes, pls direct me to the right source.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:55 am

Sorry but I have no contacts in your domain, hopefully other members will be able to help out.

I do have to say one thing - for anyone in your shoes with so much experience and a family, such a step will always be a gamble. Its not a cakewalk, you have take the plunge and go into an unknown world. This is the main reason why many Asians, comfortable in their set lives, do not take a chance to explore. I know this if off topic but in your case very valid as YOU want a change and you are now in that phase of 'Should I/ Should I not' decision.

As your wife is working, there is some income to support the family while you are here. I accept it's tough but as you have said, the quickest way is to come here, try your luck for 3 to 6 months and be ready to return and start over if nothing works out. That way, you will atleast feel you have tried and not look back 20years later wondering what would have been IF you took gamble and tried your luck :-)

All the best
KP

vp77

Post by vp77 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:08 am

Friends,

What type of documents are generally required by the recruiter in London? In India, its normally, education cert, salary slip of the previous employer, relieving letter of previous employment.

Also, what is the basic interview format?

Mesam6

Post by Mesam6 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:15 am

Hi vp77,

I doubt there is a set format for the interview. Differs on a case by case basis. I think you should just make sure you know the job ad requirements thoroughly and how it relates to what you have put in your CV and cover letter. In case of certain blue chip companies, they might through in some competency based questions but that is normally reserved for a face to face interview.

As to the documents, i suggest you have copies of everything ready and this includes educational, work and work authorization.

Regards,
Mesam.

vp77

Post by vp77 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks for the information, Mesam6.

It would be really helpful, if you can list down the docs that the employer generally asks for there, basis your experience.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:01 am

Recruiters dont ask for any documents other than, sometimes, visa to show you are legally entitled to work here. They are not interested in verifying your background.

Once the potential employer makes an offer and you accept, it is at that point your new employer will ask for the following docs. It is highly varied in the UK so it can any or all of the below, just depends on the company really

1. Original Educational Certificate for your College Degree like Engg, MSc etc
2. Visa copy to show you can legally work here
3. Relieving letter once your previous company gives it - this is because you could be serving probation while interviewing so they will be happy to wait. Many companies dont even bother
4. References from colleagues - to confirm you worked at the position you stated OR point 7 below
5. As part of their checks that you need not worry about they also check if you have a criminal record in the UK
6. They also check if you at any point were declared bankrupt or owe a lot of money or have any court cases etc - all standard stuff for the UK
7. This is important - to verify your previous work and designation, they may contact HR of previous company to state what you worked as, position and salary earned. This is not always true. Either they ask HR or only ask the people you have provided them. If they ask HR, then they may either ask HR of last company worked or, very rarely, all companies worked

Some employers in the UK do not bother about previous salary and so dont ask for payslips. Otherwise as well, they may ask you how much you earned but they never ask for payslips or bank statements here. Legally, the new employer has no right to ask you about your previous package or ask proof for the salary earned as this is confidential data. Not many know this but those who are smart are aware of this very important rule. You can even tell the HMRC to not give any salary data out and if they persist and dont offer a job because of this, then you can put a case for discrimination :-)

All the best
KP

Mesam6

Post by Mesam6 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:12 pm

At my assessment center, the HR guys asked me for my educational docs and passport, with the visa stamped on it. I am told that there are some reference docs that I will have to get filled out and send back to the company but no idea what they are as I am supposed to get those with my employment contract that I should be getting in mail in the coming week.

I am sure you also have to submit employment docs but, in my case, that will probably happen once I formally leave my current place of work and join the company in UK as the HR guys haven't told me to submit anything right now.

Regards,
Mesam.

vp77

Post by vp77 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:19 pm

As always, thank you for the detailed response.

Mesam6.....May I ask you about your work field? I am from financial services domain.