ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

14 Year Rule, Long residence

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kstjames86
Newly Registered

14 Year Rule, Long residence

Post by kstjames86 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:56 pm

Hi,

I'm about to send off my SET(O) application form, applying for indefinite leave to remain under the 14year rule. I've been in the UK since I was a baby (I'm 24 now), and have never been issued with a passport. I've never worked either so don't have a P60. I've managed to get together school records, college records and a copy of my university degree. Should I send medical records also? If so, how would I go about obtaining these?

I read in a post elsewhere on the site something about a deadline with relation to the long residence rule, could anyone shed any further light on this?

Thanks

groispois
Newly Registered

Post by groispois » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:37 am

hiya,how long have u been in the uk n why is it u not legal.what i understand if u were here as a baby n u r 24 now,then it sound like u been here over 20 years.I need more info from u so I can advice u.go on my forum or type 14 years ILR,u will get lots of info.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:53 am

Hi

I'm not qualified to help you but I've just recently completed my 14 year application so have some recent experience. It's a pity you can't afford to use a solicitor because my solicitor has been very helpful and very understanding, a long with giving me advice as to what UKBA are looking for.

This is the list my solicitor gave:

Life in UK Test Pass Notification
Documents relating to previous leave granted
Home Office correspondence for previous grants of leave
Payslips (n/a for you) and bank statements covering the past 14 years
Any contracts of employment (once again n/a)
All P60s (n/a)
Tenancy Agreements for the past 14 years
Utility bills/official correspondence received by you in the past 14 years
List of absences from the UK
Character references confirming you are person of good character I've highlighted this as my solicitor told me the more references I could get the better. Can you get references from your ex-lecturers at your uni?
Degree cert and other educational certificates.

Basically anything that can prove you have spent the last 14 years here and haven't left. In my case I sent documentation from the moment I arrived in this country, which was 16 years worth of docs.

With regards your medical records your doctor's surgery should be able to provide these or you should have a NHS medical card, send this with your application.

The thing that concerns me is the lack of passport because you need this. Maybe another poster can help.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... chapter18/ This link is invaluable to me. Scroll down to section 3.2 and this has everything they are looking for when considering any application. You will need to provide a covering letter so ensure to cover these points in relation to your personal situation, i.e. you have spent your formative years here therefore the only life you know is here in the UK!!

With regards to waiting times, I spoke to someone only yesterday and was told that if your application is straight forward with no complications you should receive a decision within 6 months. Complex applications you are looking for a wait of over 1 year. My attitude is it comes when it comes.

The deadline I think people are referring to is the directive given to the UKBA to have all legacy applications completed before July 2011. From what I've read there are major immigration reforms looming and I think this deadline along with the new citizenship rules may signal these. But I wouldn't wait if I was you!!!

Good luck :)

thelastman
Newly Registered

Post by thelastman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:54 pm

With regards to solicitor, Have you tried getting legal aid? It is a route you can explore and see if you qualify (if your main financial provider has legal residence and not earning too much... then you can apply through them). Because like kiwigirl says, it does help. I got my medical record by signing a form that allows my solicitor to request it from my GP on my behalf.
I believe you should be able to do this yourself by writing them and formaly request your medical record and also a letter showing how long you have been registered at that surgery and all other surgeries you have been registered in the past. They might charge you up to £50 (administration fee) for your medical record. You can always phone the surgery to enquire.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:50 pm

kstjames86 wrote: I've been in the UK since I was a baby (I'm 24 now)
Where were you born?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

joh118

Post by joh118 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:26 pm

vinny wrote:
kstjames86 wrote: I've been in the UK since I was a baby (I'm 24 now)
Where were you born?
i think the OP posted this a year ago.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:47 pm

You're right! Wonder how she's doing?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.