ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Clarification Regarding Referees

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ibtechie
Newly Registered

Clarification Regarding Referees

Post by ibtechie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:40 pm

I tried searching through the forum to clarify questions i have regarding Professional referees but didnt find any relevant posts.

Bank/Building Society Offiical - Can this be an Investment Bank Employee. For example, somebody working in JPMorgan Investment Bank?

Doctors - I only see Dentist in List of Acceptable Professional Referees. Can it be a Doctor who is on a GP (ie physiatrist). I learnt from the forum that GP have been taken off from the list but not sure if Doctors still qualify.

Thanks in Advance.

ukpl

Re: Clarification Regarding Referees

Post by ukpl » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:47 am

ibtechie wrote:I tried searching through the forum to clarify questions i have regarding Professional referees but didnt find any relevant posts.

Bank/Building Society Offiical - Can this be an Investment Bank Employee. For example, somebody working in JPMorgan Investment Bank?

Doctors - I only see Dentist in List of Acceptable Professional Referees. Can it be a Doctor who is on a GP (ie physiatrist). I learnt from the forum that GP have been taken off from the list but not sure if Doctors still qualify.

Thanks in Advance.
Re: Bank/Building Society Offiical - my understanding of the word "official" is it needs to be someone like Branch Manager rather than any employee.

But the list is not definitive - you need to apply common sense who is / isn't professional.

Red Squirrel Publishing
Newly Registered

Post by Red Squirrel Publishing » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:23 pm

As an addendum to the common sense point, which is certainly the case, the common thing of the listed acceptable professions is that they are all qualified professionals of some sort, or work in publically accountable positions.

So for your employee of JP Morgan, it would depend on their level of responsibility and accountability. A team member may not be enough, a team leader or other manager may.

One of the suggested reasons as to why doctors have been taken off is to stop so many people making appointments with their GP just to get their reference. This doesn't necessarily mean they are no longer acceptable.

ilrseeker
Newly Registered

Post by ilrseeker » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi,
I am applying BC for myself and family together.
Could anyone please clarify if the refrees for me and my wife can be also be referees for my children.
It will be two of my friends who are IT consultants(Engineers by qualification) and also family friends from last 5 yrs.

Since my son hasnt been in one school from last 3 yrs , we dont have a teacher or a health visitor who can refer.

Your comments most appreciated.

Regards

ilrseeker
Newly Registered

Post by ilrseeker » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:35 am

guys, nobody answered this , i guess missed and went down the list

please someone answer the above query ...much appreciated.

thanks

ukpl

Post by ukpl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:26 pm

ilrseeker wrote:Could anyone please clarify if the refrees for me and my wife can be also be referees for my children.
It will be two of my friends who are IT consultants(Engineers by qualification) and also family friends from last 5 yrs.
One of them is ok for your children.
But you should have one professional referee who has engaged with your children in a professional capacity.
So not any professional but the one who is working somehow with your children. For example, not any dentist but your kids' one, not any teacher but your kids' one, not any cleric but the one from the church your kids go to, etc.

ilrseeker
Newly Registered

Post by ilrseeker » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:37 pm

thanks ukpl for the clarification,

however the problem is we have moving homes in last 3 yrs almost 3 times and the present one - we've been living for only 7 months
so no teacher , no dentist or health visitor would give the reference for 3 yrs.
who should be the best refree in this case?

thanks again

ukpl

Post by ukpl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:43 pm

how old are your kids?

ilrseeker
Newly Registered

Post by ilrseeker » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:06 pm

6 year old
and 18 months old

thanks

ukpl

Post by ukpl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:54 pm

ilrseeker wrote:6 year old
and 18 months old

thanks
for the younger one you can use any refs as he/she is too young to be known for 3 years anyway plus explain it in the relevant section (additional info - page 13).

for the older one, I'd do the same, i.e. use the refs you can have and add explanation on page 13 about you moving houses thus not having pro ref who knows your kid for longer time

ilrseeker
Newly Registered

Post by ilrseeker » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:25 pm

thanks ukpl,

just to add to the above information, my younger kid is born in UK , and since we have ILR, she anyways is eligible to get the BC, correct?

Jk2007
BANNED

Post by Jk2007 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:48 am

ukpl wrote:
ilrseeker wrote:Could anyone please clarify if the refrees for me and my wife can be also be referees for my children.
But you should have one professional referee who has engaged with your children in a professional capacity.
So not any professional but the one who is working somehow with your children. For example, not any dentist but your kids' one, not any teacher but your kids' one, not any cleric but the one from the church your kids go to, etc.
ukpl,

Can you please clarify where the rule you have quoted is mentioned? I am seeing only the following in the guidance:

"Each referee should have known you personally for at least 3 years.
One referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, such as a minister of religion, civil servant or a member of a professional body, for example accountant or solicitor (but not representing you with this application). A list of acceptable
professional persons can be found on our website.
The other referee must be the holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25."

My understanding is that 'any' professional person in the list can be a referee, not necessarily the one that is associated with the applicant's profession. For example, a lawyer applicant not necessarily should seek a legal professional as a referee.

nax_72

Post by nax_72 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:19 pm

Jk2007 wrote:
ukpl wrote:
ukpl,

Can you please clarify where the rule you have quoted is mentioned? I am seeing only the following in the guidance:

"Each referee should have known you personally for at least 3 years.
One referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, such as a minister of religion, civil servant or a member of a professional body, for example accountant or solicitor (but not representing you with this application). A list of acceptable
professional persons can be found on our website.
The other referee must be the holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25."

My understanding is that 'any' professional person in the list can be a referee, not necessarily the one that is associated with the applicant's profession. For example, a lawyer applicant not necessarily should seek a legal professional as a referee.
ukpl is talking about child's referees. You are talking about adult's referees.