ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indian Passport renewal in London - queries

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

geriatrix

Indian Passport renewal in London - queries

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:28 pm

Hi,

Any idea how many days does the Indian High Commission in London take to re-issue a new passport (i.e. after expiry of 10 years validity) when the application is made in person?
Appreciate feedback from anyone who's got it done in recent months.

Thanks in advance.

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

ChetanOjha

Re: Indian Passport - How many days does HCI take to re-issu

Post by ChetanOjha » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:11 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Hi,

Any idea how many days does the Indian High Commission in London take to re-issue a new passport (i.e. after expiry of 10 years validity) when the application is made in person?

Thanks in advance.

regards
Thinks it is a week time. Are you not asked to collect the new passport in a week's time?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:30 am

chetanojha wrote: Are you not asked to collect the new passport in a week's time?
Well, I haven't applied yet!!

The HCI website does say 1 week for applications made in person but I wanted to know from people who have got this done recently if there's any truth in it (Government of India has indeed become so efficient????) :shock:

I just hope they don't take 45 days to re-issue a passport like they do to issue a PCC. :wink:

regards

amitc

Post by amitc » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:47 am

It took me 3 days to issue a replacement passport after expiry of my 10 yrs in old passport. But be prepare to spend nearly whole day for application submission. I went at 6am and came out around 1pm. For collection it took only 15 mins. And take all possible documents with photocopy otherwise they will refuse to take your application.

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:33 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
chetanojha wrote: Are you not asked to collect the new passport in a week's time?
Well, I haven't applied yet!!

The HCI website does say 1 week for applications made in person but I wanted to know from people who have got this done recently if there's any truth in it (Government of India has indeed become so efficient????) :shock:

I just hope they don't take 45 days to re-issue a passport like they do to issue a PCC. :wink:

regards
Well it is efficient especially when you pay in GBP :-)
Yes it can be done in one week. You can apply in person. As mentioned by other member, you have to get in queue early to get token number.

You can also apply by post and that too take roughly a week.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:02 pm

amitc wrote:It took me 3 days to issue a replacement passport after expiry of my 10 yrs in old passport.
Brilliant! Paying in GBP does seem to help. :P
amitc wrote:And take all possible documents with photocopy otherwise they will refuse to take your application.
Could you advise what all documents are needed (or you took with you)? I don't think HCI website details what documents are required to be submitted - other than the photocopy of the non-blank pages of the existing pasport.

Thanks in advance.

regards

amitc

Post by amitc » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:43 pm

They are not always so efficient even if you paying in GBP. I have applied for police clearence certificate in August and already visited HCI 3 times without success of getting PCC.

During my replacement Passport application I have changed my permanent address in India. For that I have submitted Telephone bill in my name in India. Also I took UK utility bills and 2 photographs and passport. Take photocopy of all documents cos they dont have any copier machine in office :lol:

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Is it necessary for the passport holder to go in person or can someone else (e.g.- spouse) submit the application on the passport holder's behalf?

1. To reflect the new permanent address in India (due to marriage), I hope copies of marriage certificate and spouse's passport will suffice! I will take the original marriage certificate and spouse's passport along.
2. I'll also be taking a letter from employer and the latest electricity / gass bill (original+copy).
I hope I am not missing any other documentary evidence that I should take along with me. Any suggestions??

Any specific guidance about photographs (e.g. - size, background color, etc.)? The website doesn't seem to mention anything in this regard .. other than "passport" photographs.

Thanks in advance.

regards

amitc

Post by amitc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:12 am

sushdmehta wrote:Is it necessary for the passport holder to go in person or can someone else (e.g.- spouse) submit the application on the passport holder's behalf?
Any one can submit but needs to carry authorisation letter
1. To reflect the new permanent address in India (due to marriage), I hope copies of marriage certificate and spouse's passport will suffice! I will take the original marriage certificate and spouse's passport along. OK
2. I'll also be taking a letter from employer and the latest electricity / gass bill (original+copy). Not neccessary but can carry just in case they need to see I hope I am not missing any other documentary evidence that I should take along with me. Any suggestions??

Any specific guidance about photographs (e.g. - size, background color, etc.)? The website doesn't seem to mention anything in this regard .. other than "passport" photographs.
no guidelines but make sure in the photograph your face should be visible, print in a proper photo paper not in plain paper. and white background advisable. Try any recent photo not your childhood photo... lol
Thanks in advance.
Take photocopy of all documents
regards

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:20 pm

amitc wrote:Try any recent photo not your childhood photo... lol
Nice one! Will one in nappies do? :lol:

Thanks!

regards

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:24 pm

Never got down to having it done .. yet! Hence, another query ...

Do they return the current-but-expiring-soon or expired passport when the application for re-issue is submitted? Or do they keep it in their custody until a new one is collected?

regards

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:11 am

sushdmehta wrote:Do they return the current-but-expiring-soon or expired passport when the application for re-issue is submitted? Or do they keep it in their custody until a new one is collected?
I am also looking for the answer to this one. In all probability, they will keep the old passport, but I am not sure.

Any know this from their experience?

sidshekhar

Indian Passport renewed at Indian High Commission London

Post by sidshekhar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:19 am

[Hello friends,
This site has been a good source of information regarding all passport and immigration advice. I recently got my Indian Passport renewed at Indian High Commission (IHC) London. I will detail the process below

My passport was to expire in Aug 2011, so I planned to get it renewed earlier. I downloaded the form from the IHC website and filled it up with all the relevant information. In my case I submitted 2 photos, old passport and my marriage certificate to add my Wife’s name to my passport.

The IHC is located at Aldwych, London which is 10 minutes walk from Holborn station. I planned to apply on 30/Dec/10 and reached there by 8AM. There was a queue of about 200 people at that time. There were people standing since 6AM. This queue was to get a Token. The token counter opened at 8.30 AM. I went inside the IHC after getting my token. Everyone sat in waiting lounge for their token to be called.
There are 7 counters; 2 for Passport, 2 for PIO&OCI,2 for consular works and 1 for other works. I had to wait till 11.45m for my turn. When called to the counter, I submitted my filled in form, passport, 2 photos, photocopy of marriage certificate and fees of £27. The lady at the counter asked me if I wanted to update my address on the Passport and I opted to keep my Indian address as my permanent address on the passport. After submitting all the documents she handed me receipt with a reference number and date and time written to collect my new passport. New passport was to be ready to collect on 04/Jan/2011.

I collected my passport on 05/Jan/2011 with all correct details. IHC put a stamp on my old passport stating “cancelledâ€

engi_guy
Newly Registered

Post by engi_guy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:16 pm

My passport is expiring soon. The address on my passport is my hostel address of then. Now in form, there is field for permanent address. Do they ask for proof of this address while renewing?

I dont mind keeping same hostel address on new passport as well..

Any suggestion?

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:37 am

engi_guy wrote:My passport is expiring soon. The address on my passport is my hostel address of then. Now in form, there is field for permanent address. Do they ask for proof of this address while renewing?

Any suggestion?
If you keep the same address then no prob. If you change it, they will ask for address proof (e.g utility bills etc).

engi_guy
Newly Registered

Post by engi_guy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks for reply.
Just to add on question..in this case, do they take longer time due to police verification for changed address?
krazydude wrote:
engi_guy wrote:My passport is expiring soon. The address on my passport is my hostel address of then. Now in form, there is field for permanent address. Do they ask for proof of this address while renewing?

Any suggestion?
If you keep the same address then no prob. If you change it, they will ask for address proof (e.g utility bills etc).

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:21 am

engi_guy wrote:Thanks for reply.
Just to add on question..in this case, do they take longer time due to police verification for changed address?
No they don't. If you change your permanent address, they ask you for a xerox copy of the address proof and the processing time remains the same. There is no police verification of changed address.

ukukukuk2011

Post by ukukukuk2011 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi ,

I did not read the full messages . So no idea if somebody else has pointed this .

When i applied for new Passport , i got on same day within 3 hours .
This is called tatkaal same day service which many people Dont know .

But you will have to shell out 65 £ .....

So if you dont want to worry submitting your passport best is Same day service ..... ..When you reach there ask for same day service @ counter ..They were very happy as they get 65 £ ...

sushdmehta wrote:Hi,

Thanks in advance.

regards
:lol: :lol: :lol:

nswapnil
Newly Registered

Post by nswapnil » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:39 am

Hi ukukukuk2011,

Do you know is Tatkaal service available at Birmingham office as well ? and what are the documents required, I mean do you have to give the reason for Tatkaal service?

Thanks

ukukukuk2011

Post by ukukukuk2011 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:15 am

Hi ,

I had a tough time to find out if it is available in London itself .Nobody was clear .When i called they said No , then when i mailed they said Yes .
So i am 100 % it is in London . No idea of birmigham ....

Even in counter @ london first they said NO , then i showed the copy of mail from them and then she enquired with somebody and said "Sorry YES" ....

They will ask a reason for a formality , i said my uncle is Ill .She just asked me to pay 65 and submit and wait for 3 hours ...

nswapnil wrote:Hi ukukukuk2011,

Do you know is Tatkaal service available at Birmingham office as well ? and what are the documents required, I mean do you have to give the reason for Tatkaal service?

Thanks

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Slightly off-topic:

Are there any "security" restrictions in place at HCI London on carrying bags into the premises? Need to carry a cabin bag on the day, so wondering!

regards

ukukukuk2011

Post by ukukukuk2011 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:14 pm

No issues at all . I carried my Bag with me . Even though they have a wriiten sign saying bag not allowed , they allow it after a check .

As usual you will have to just open it and show to security , and he wont even really check what is inside ..He will just glance as if his eyes is a metal detector and allow u .. :lol:

So dont worry ..

sushdmehta wrote:Slightly off-topic:

Are there any "security" restrictions in place at HCI London on carrying bags into the premises? Need to carry a cabin bag on the day, so wondering!

regards

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:49 pm

Just worried since the bag is a "small suitcase" (eqv. size of airline cabin bag) and the person will be travelling all the way to London for this purpose (HCI) only, don't want to that he be refused entry for "carrying a bag"!

Can't find any related info. on the website (not surprising).

Thanks for the response, and the reassurance.

regards

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:12 am

I do not want to scare anyone here but when I went to collect my OCI, I had a small backpack with some food (sandwiches, crisps), water, keys, umbrella, gloves, documents and a cap. It was a good thing that I went along with my wife as I was told when I was entering HCI that a bag is not allowed inside (they did not even open or check it, leave alone passing through a metal detector. None of the articles in the bag were a security risk). My wife had to sit with the bag in the cold outside the HCI (on a damp stone boulder). Good thing is that it took me around 15-20 mins to get my OCI so she did not have to wait too long.

I think if you go on day when the security guys are in a good mood, you can carry pretty much anything you want with you inside.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:06 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Never got down to having it done .. yet! Hence, another query ...

Do they return the current-but-expiring-soon or expired passport when the application for re-issue is submitted? Or do they keep it in their custody until a new one is collected?

regards
They keep it.

regards