ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship Test Study Guide

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jeevan1000
Newly Registered

Post by jeevan1000 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:25 pm

you can download the "life in the UK" exam material here: -

[Moderator edit : Link deleted : breach of copyright]

Nisha
Newly Registered

Post by Nisha » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:31 am

I passed my test last week :) I've just come to say thank you very much for all helpful links and information guys. I practiced myself on free websites which I found here.
Thanks again :)

J_1
Newly Registered

Post by J_1 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:39 pm

does any have gud site for practising Questions???????????????????? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

gaman

Post by gaman » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:03 pm

Edit --- decided to remove my post-

Thanks

jwalker
Newly Registered

Post by jwalker » Fri May 11, 2007 7:28 pm

I've cleared the exam :) and for those whose exam is due, PM me your mail id for a free pdf copy of first edition "Life in the UK" Test material

ukboy1
Newly Registered

Found this site hope this help someone to pass the test

Post by ukboy1 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:15 pm

I found this website they have over 800 questions from the LIFE IN THE UK book, I paid £8.99 and got passed at once.

[url]http://%20www.%20britishcitizenshiptest.org.uk/[/url]

Well worth the money spent.

[ EDIT NOTE : Admin deliberately broke the link. This is rather suspicious as a promotion or an advertisement. I'll leave it in this case so long as I don't see it SPAMmed about the forum. I'll let members decide if they are interested in a pay service. ]

usauk62
Newly Registered

re: Test link

Post by usauk62 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:14 pm

Thanks for this link!

llNicell

Life in UK test

Post by llNicell » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:36 am

Hi

Use this site for practice. I found it very useful.

http://www.hiren.info/life-in-the-uk-test/55

jeude
Newly Registered

Post by jeude » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm

Don't pay for the 'Life in the UK: A Journey to Citizenship'.

You can download it for free.

There's quite enough profit being made off us already.

Put the title of the book into a search engine with something like: download ebook.

Get the full book for free, totally without guilt - as there is no moral question about something like this when compared with the moral atrocities that mad immgration rules cause to the innocent. imho.

jeude
Newly Registered

Post by jeude » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:44 pm

slightly irrelevant, but...

Why does our immigration system favour the rich? (Tier 1: investors, graduates; high visa fees; importance of the bank balance)

Wealth, in my experience, does not denote good character. In fact, most often, just the opposite.

natural123
Newly Registered

Re: Life in UK test

Post by natural123 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:23 am

llNicell wrote:Hi

Use this site for practice. I found it very useful.

http://www.hiren.info/life-in-the-uk-test/55
Yes, you are right. This is very good site.
I have found another one also
http://www.naturalisationtest.co.uk/sign-up.php

cbal
Newly Registered

Post by cbal » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:22 pm

http://www.hiren.info/life-in-the-uk-test/2

some more qs here,
anyone appearing in march.april?

joelondon
Member of Standing

Post by joelondon » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:10 pm

http://www.lifeintheunitedkingdomtest.co.uk/?page_id=25

hope this may help ...i used it and it was very helpful

ewb
Newly Registered

Post by ewb » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:17 am

My wife took and passed the British Citizenship Test just over a year ago.

Whilst she was revising for the test, we didn't find any really good online tests she could use, so I put together a test to help her (It randomly selects 24 questions from a bank of over 500 questions). You can run the test as often as you like, and review which questions you got correct, and also those you got wrong. I put this all together in the following website: http://www.uk-citizenship-test.com.

It's FREE and you can try the test as often as you like (the questions will be randomly asked each time you try it)

Hope it proves to be helpful.

Naima
Newly Registered

Post by Naima » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:04 pm

Hi,
May i know plz that we still have to do the immigration test?
bcuz i heard all d tests r finished now
so could any1 tel me ab8 dat plz
Thanks

boloney

Re: British Citizenship Test Study Guide

Post by boloney » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:05 am

John wrote:I happened to spot this on the internet today. It could be of interest to anyone contemplating applying for Naturalisation to become British :-

British Citizenship Test Study Guide
http://www.ukcitizenshiptest.co.uk/

Welcome to the Life in the United Kingdom Official Practice Citizenship Test.

This practice test is presented in a format that closely resembles the Official Test. Whilst the questions that we have selected are not the actual test questions, you can use them to find out whether you are ready to take the actual test.

You are allowed up to 45 minutes in which to answer 24 questions. Once you have answered all 24 questions and selected ‘Finish Test’, you will be awarded a PASS or FAIL mark. The pass mark for the test is around 75%.

You will then have the opportunity to review your answers and receive guidance on how to use the Official Handbook and Study Guide in order to prepare for the Official Test.

kchakravarthi

Post by kchakravarthi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:46 pm

Hi,
This is my notes which i prepared by reading various resources on the internet and passed in first attempt.

================

Sex discrimination act 1975 is the right answer.
Where is the Equal Opportunities Commission found? machester
Within how many months since you started your job should your employer give you a written contract or statement? 2months
Children could not work for more than how many hours a week in any school week 12hrs
Disability Rights Commisssion,Commission for facial Equality
30 mph is for congested, built-up areas. 60 mph is normally the speed limit for single carriageways.
magistrate->jury-judge
Non-departmental bodies are called "quangos"
The head of the church of Scotland is called the Chief Moderator.
NI->wales-scot-eng in pop
Northern Ireland only consist of 3% of the entire UK population.
How many percent of Christians in Northern Ireland are Roman Catholics? 40%

Since 2004, large numbers of migrants have come from eastern europe
The land area of the UK is approximately 1400km
The percentage of the population who attend religious services is 10% and increasing in london
71.6% are christian,85% are religious and 15% are non religion,15% are other religion
party leaders appoint whips
The House of Lords has the power to approve or reject laws-true
The ministers that work alongside the Foreign Secretary are called Secretaries of State. true
Every when does the Prime Minister’s Questions occur? weekly
Elected members of the Assembly are called what? Members of the Legislative Assembly
London has how many local authorities 33
Quangos are independent organizations that handle cases which are inappropriate under the control of the Cabinet minister.
The European Union was set up by how many countries? 6
How many members are in the UN Security Council? 15
The Department for Work and Pensions is in charge of the Social Funds
The Housing Benefit could cover charges for water. true
In 2002, how many EU states have adopted the euro as their currency? 12 and 10 joined
Health checks are free for everyone.
Information given to GPs are confidential unless you give permission to them.
Within how many weeks after birth must you register your baby? 6weeks
At what age does a child go to secondary school? 11
SATs are taken at ages 7, 11, and 14
What do you call schools linked to a church? faith
Schools are required to teach religion in the UK. t
The curriculum in Scotland is divided into how many phases? 2 and levels in each pahse are These levels are from A to F.
At what age do children get careers advice? 14
Education Maintenance Allowance,endowment
pub-14,cig/lottery-16,alcohol/gambling-18
car-17,lorry-21

Indian 1.1 million 1.8%, Pakistani 0.7 million 1.3%, Mixed 0.7 million 1.2%, Black Caribbean 0.6 million 1.0%, Black African 0.5 million 0.8%
Since 1951, the population of UK has grown by 17 per cent. This is lower than the average growth for countries in the EU (which is 23 per cent), and much smaller than some other countries, such as the USA (80 per cent), and Australia (133 per cent).
58.8 million uk pop
Most members of ethnic minority groups live in England, where they make up nine per cent of the total population. This compares with two per cent each in Wales and Scotland, and less than one per cent in Northern Ireland.
75 per cent of the UK population reported that they had a religion. and 70% are christians,10% catholics
Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, Jews, Buddhists
The distance from the north coast of Scotland to the south coast of England is approximately 600 miles (almost 1,000 km), and it is about 320 miles (just over 500 km) across the widest part of England and Wales.
(3). The Council of Europe was created in 1949, and Britain was one of the 6 founder members.

Answer 2: (3) The Council of Europe has 50 member states, working to protect human rights and seek solutions to problems facing European society today.

Answer 3: FALSE. The founding memebers were Belgium, France, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, and West Germany

Answer 4: (4). In 2004, ten new member countries joined the EU bringing membership to a total of 25.

Answer 5: (3). The Commonwealth arose out of the former British Empire that once included much of Africa and the West Indies, Canada, the Indian sub-continent, Australia and New Zealand.

Answer 6: (3). Commonwealth has a membership of 54 states, which together contain 1.7 billion people - 30 per cent of the world’s population.

Schools must be open 190 days a year
At present, universities can charge up to f3,000per year for their tuition fees, but students do not have to pay anything towards their fees before or during their studies. The government pays their tuition fees and then charges for them when a student starts working after university. Some families on low incomes receive help with their children's tuition fees. This is called a grant. The universities also give help, in the form of bursaries. Most students get a low-interest student loan from a bank. This pays for their living costs while they are at university. When a student finishes university and starts working, he or she must pay back the loan
In England and Wales the primary stage lasts from 5 to 11, in Scotland from 5 to 12 and in Northern Ireland from 4 to 11. The secondary stage lasts until the age of 16. At that age young people can choose to leave school or to continue with their education until they are 17 or 18.

To drink alcohol in a pub you must be 18 or over. People under 18 are not allowed to buy alcohol in a supermarket or in an off-licence either. The landlord of the pub may allow people of 14 to come into the pub but they are not allowed to drink. At 16, people can drink wine or beer with a meal in a hotel or restaurant.
With provisional license you are allowed to drive a motorcycle up to 125cc or a car. You must put L plates on the vehicle, or D plates in Wales. Learner drivers cannot drive on a motorway. If you drive a car, you must be with someone who is over 21 and who has had a full licence for over three years. Drivers may use their licence until they are 70. After that the licence is valid for three years at a time.

when did Britain join the European Union?1973, estb in 1966
Spokesmen and women of political parties who put their own views on things are called spin doctors

What time do people hold a two minute silence on Remembrance Day? 11AM
When was the Northern Ireland Good Friday Agreement signed?1998
What did the early immigrants do when they arrived? took land by force

========
In the 1970's Britain admitted 28000 people of Indian origin from which country? uganda and 22,000 refugees from South East Asia
GCSE-16,A/s-17,A-18 years
pocket money is given weekly
cigarette and alcohol udner age of 18
irish came becaz of famine in 1840 and jews-religios persecution 1880 and 1910, heugonots from france in 16,17th centuray
hogmanay is called scotts new year day 31dec
illegal drugs by 1/3rd of pop
fund raising-50%, charity-85% young ppl
min age to drive car is 17,medium size is 18,big lorry is 19 years
treaty of rome 1957
100% discount on TV for >75 years and 50% for blind ppl

What is a health visitor?A qualified nurse who can advise you about your baby, and who visits your home
Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition can debate matters of its own choice in Parliament. true
Who is the administrative head and spiritual leader of the Church of England?The Archbishop of Canterbury
When is Christmas Eve?24th dec
Which of the national days is celebrated with a holiday?st patricks day
How many member states of the EU are working together to protect Human rights. 50
The distance of the widest part across England and Wales is 500km
How long can you ask advice from your health visitor?5years
2% of Scotland's population are from the ethnic minorities
The Government started a programme of devolved administration for Wales and Scotland in 1997
The Queen's speech is provided by the PM
By what system are Members of the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly elected? propo rep
When did the survey ask young people about their participation in political and community events? 2003

What door is opened at the first stroke of midnight in Wales to release the old year? backdoor
Between ______ large numbers of Jewish people came to Britain from what are now Poland, Ukraine, and Belarus.1880-1910
Majority of the people in the UK do not go on to higher education. true
Since 1999 there has been an Assembly in Wales and scott .true
European law overrides British law. true
Where were the engineering firms located in the United Kingdom to recruit engineers? north of UK

In Wales today, Baptists and Methodists are the two most widespread denominations. true
If you were a visitor to a Scottish home at New Year, what might you be expected to bring? coal bread whiskey
Where did the first wave of Jewish immigrants come from?Poland, Ukraine and Belarus
Who is the ceremonial leader of the council? mayor
What is the population of Wales? 4.5% 2.9mm
scotland- 8%, 5.1mm
england-85%,50mm
Northern Ireland. 3%,1.7mm
75% has religion/84.5% claim to have religion

What percentage of the UK population is Muslim? 2.7%
In Britain ______ of people stated that they are Muslims 3%
How many people stated that they are Hindu. 1%
What percentage of the UK population is Sikh?0.6%
jewish=0.5%
What percentage of the population of the UK are Catholics? 10%
What percentage of the United Kingdom's population is made up of ethnic minorities? 7.9% or <5%?
Ethnic minority group makes less than ______ of the UK's population 5%

In 2001 what was the percentage of Indian descent? 1.8%
In 2001 what was the percentage of Pakistani descent? 1.3%
In 2001 what was the percentage of Black Caribbean descent?1%
In 2001 what was the percentage of Black African descent? 0.8%
In 2001 what was the percentage of Chinese descent?0.4%
In 2001 what was the percentage of Bangladeshi descent? 0.5%
In 2001 what was the percentage of Other Black descent?0.2%

In 2001 what was the population of Indian descent?1.1mm
How many people of Pakistan origin are there in the UK?0.7mm
In 2001 what was the population of people of Mixed descent? 0.7mm
In 2001 what was the population of Black African descent?0.5mm
In 2001 what was the population of Other Asian descent?0.2mm
In 2001 what was the population of Chinese descent? 0.2mm

By what percentage has the European Union population grown since 1951? 23%
How many Jewish people came to Britain during the World Wars 2mm
How much has the uk population grown since 1971? 7.7%
How many people in England belong to an ethnic minority?9%

92% UK pop is white
The growth of the Australia is 13%
Who does not have to pay for a TV licence? 75years or more
The growth of UK birth rate rose slightly in 2003

pogroms
Quangos are appointed by govt
What is Hansard? Parliament's official reports
In government, what are Surgeries?-These are when the MP opens his doors to meet individuals to discuss matters
What is the Kirk?The other name of the Church of Scotland
When was the Northern Ireland Parliament abolished? 1972, 2006
What is the name of the pets charity that can help people on low incomes with veterinary care? PDSA
The distance across the widest part of England and Wales is about ______ miles 320 miles/500km
When are Elections for the local government councillors held? may
Where do mother and toddler groups take place? church
Compared to England and Wales, what ratio of People regularly attends Church in Scotland? twice
Life peers have to be Christians-false
Pregnant women with young babies get free dental treatment. true
On St Valentine's Day-Secret admirers give unsigned cards
Which political issues are young people interested in?The environment and cruelty to animals
What do couples traditionally do under the mistletoe? kiss
Class ______ National Insurance contribution will self-employed people pay on the profits from their trade or business. calss4
Women in Britain make up 45% of work force
According to estimates what percentage of England's population regularly attend church. 8-11%

What is the speed limit for a built-up area? 30mph
Who decides on the penalty in a serious crime case?judge not jury/magistrate
How many independent schools are there in the UK?2500
What sorts of women were allowed to vote from 1918 onwards? women with property
How long can you take before you make a complaint about your employer? 3months
What is the usual period for repaying a mortgage?25years
The distance from the west coast of Wales to the east coast of England is 320miles
Members of ethnic minorities in Britain live in the West Midlands, the South East, the North West, and Yorkshire and Humberside? true
What was the main reason for Irish people to come to Britain in the Mid 1840's?famine
In the ______ centuries, protestant Huguenots came from France 16th and 17th century
In England and Wales local authorities may only offer permissive services if empowered to do so by government legislation, But in Scotland, local authorities can do anything they are not explicitly forbidden to do so. true
What is an example of a Statutory Advisory Body to Ministers? gaming board
The Council of Europe was created in 1949
The Queen is a symbol of National Unity. true
When was the Church of England founded? 1534

specialist immigration centres set up in the West Indies in the 1950's to recruit bus crews
Scouse dialect spoken in Liverpool, geordie in tyne, ulster scotts in northern ireland, galeilic in scott, cockney in london

How many members does The National Assembly for Wales have? 60
How many countries are members of the Commonwealth? 53
Where did the tradition of playing jokes on one another on April 1st originate? france
What discount on television licence is offered to blind people? 50%
When did the Gunpowder Plot take place? 5nov1605
Where is the Northern Ireland Assembly situated? stormont
What is the distance (in miles) between the North coast of Scotland and the South coast of England? 870miles
UK population stated that they were Christian? 70%
When did the Queen come to the thorne? 1952
Where St Patrick's Day is celebrated on the 17th of March? northern ireland

Who appoints Life Peers?queen
How old does a candidate have to be to stand for public officer?18
Almost a quarter of children in the United Kingdom live in a single parent family-T
How many European states adopted the euro in 2002?12
How many young people go onto higher education? 1in3

What is the traditional Christmas meal?Roast turkey and pudding made from suet, dried fruit and spices

There are 646 MPs in the United Kingdom Parliament?T
During Question Time who asks the questions? MPs
It was reported ______ of young people had taken part in some form of community activity over the past year. 86%
What is the current minimum wage for workers aged between 18 and 21?4.45£
What is the current minimum wage for workers aged between 16 and 17?3.30
______ override national legislation and must be followed by the courts in each member state.Regulations
When the Northern Ireland assembly was most recently suspended?2006
retirement age Men 65, Women 60
What ratio of first time (young) voters actually vote?1in5

The deposit required for candidates standing as a member for The Scottish Parliament or The Welsh or Northern Ireland Assemblies is 500£,european 5000£
Until what time do people play jokes on one another on April Fool's Day?Noon
Civil servants must ______ ministers if they think a policy is impractical or even against the public interest. warn
The Good Friday agreement signed between Irish and British government in 1998
In the past, ______ suspected that civil servants too easily imposed their departmental policies on new ministers. commentators

ukpl

Post by ukpl » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:22 am

kchakravarthi wrote:Hi,
This is my notes which i prepared by reading various resources on the internet and passed in first attempt. This is all you need. Just read the notes and start writing practice tests available for free on internet. u will pass every test!
Thanks for sharing, but have you actually read the official LITUK books?
Some of your notes have no bearing to what is in the official books, neither to the actual test questions. (beauty of free internet - plenty sites publish answers (often wrong) to questions which are not covered by LITUK test).
For instance: the distance from the north cost to the south cost. The time of 2mins silence. Toddlers group, The growth of Australia (why Australia?), etc.

kchakravarthi

Post by kchakravarthi » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:28 am

Nope, i haven't read that book! Yes I will add a caution to my post asking them to read my notes and the official book at their own will!
i think my notes will cover 80-90% of the actual questions asked in the test. The amount of effort poeple put for the rest of the questions is their wish. This notes is just an addon seggregating all the internet information at one place but not everything!

allta

Post by allta » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi Guys,

just want to quickly ask here if 2009 test result is still valid for British citizenship application for March, 2011?

Probably is, just need someone to confirm so I can have peace of mind. Many Thanks

Allta
No man can be an Island of Knowledge, a Tree doesn't make a forest

Markie

Post by Markie » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:33 pm

there is no validity or expiration date on LIUK test results...don't worry.
allta wrote:Hi Guys,

just want to quickly ask here if 2009 test result is still valid for British citizenship application for March, 2011?

Probably is, just need someone to confirm so I can have peace of mind. Many Thanks

Allta