ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Treaty rights as self-sufficient, how much is enough?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

b91911
Newly Registered

Treaty rights as self-sufficient, how much is enough?

Post by b91911 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:01 pm

Hello everyone,

I posted a few days ago a different thread here http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=75521 to figure out if when moving to Ireland with my non-EU husband, it would be better for us to apply with me being self-employed, or as "self-sufficient".

I was wondering if there are any of you here who chose to apply as self-sufficient and got approved; and if so, what the average amount of money you had to prove you have access to was? I understand not everyone wants to talk about money on a public forum, so if you want to send me a private message that would be great.
I am just trying to figure out what we should have saved up to be on the safe side, and get his application approved this way as i cannot find any information about this.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:15 pm

there is not nor can there be a determined figure. google the ec commission communication july 2009 on directive 2004/38 ec for guideline. the text of the directive is extremely simple, you can google a version with has the explanatory notes. if you have health insurance you are half way there.

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Residing with sufficient resources
Where the EU citizen has sufficient resources to maintain themselves and any dependants in the State, while possessing comprehensive sickness/health insurance in respect of them self, their spouse, and any dependants. A person shall be regarded as not having sufficient resources to support them self and any dependants where that person would qualify for assistance under Part 3 of the Social Welfare Consolidation Act 2005 (No. 26 of 2005) if a claim were made by them or on their behalf.
Immigration department cannot be anymore vague can they? Now what is the figure one qualifies under part 3 of SW act 05 is a good question. I am assuming if someone earning a weekly figure of under €170 would qualify for social assitance (if working 3 days a week).

b91911
Newly Registered

Post by b91911 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:59 pm

Thank you very much for your help.

I had found the directive previously, but wasn't sure under what amount of income one would qualify to apply for welfare in Ireland.
Note to self : find good health insurance first thing upon arriving.